Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » M2M (model-to-model transformation) » No overriding, but just changing the differences in m2m transformations
No overriding, but just changing the differences in m2m transformations [message #649993] Fri, 21 January 2011 10:52
Muba  is currently offline Muba Friend
Hi,

I was wondering if the following two features are available in any open source or free technology:

1)
Following the MDA approach I want to transform a PIM to a PSM. While I can transform the PIM to a PSM with xTend, I also want to be able to enhance the PSM with platform specific attributes. Sofar thats all doable, but here comes the problem:
Is there a technology that would allow me to change the PIM and transform it to the manually enhanced PSM without losing the manually added attributes of the PSM?

As far as I know, I can just create a new model with xTend and override the old one, thus losing all my manually added attributes.

For Model to Text transformations this features is already available in Xpand (with protected regions) and in other technologies. But I need this also for Model to Model transformations.

Can one of the eclipse m2m technologies do that? Can any open source or free technology do that? (Are there even commercial ones?)

If so, does it also work, if the PIM is based on UML and UML Profiles?

2)
Is there also a technology which would allow model-model synchronization or model-model round trip engineering.
Lets say I generated a PSM from a PIM. Now I want to enhance my PSM, but also want to change a attribute, which is available in the PIM as well. Is it possible that the changes in the PSM could be relayed back to the PIM?

I assume this could also be done with xTend, but therefore I would need rules for PIM to PSM and PSM to PIM transformations. I am rather searching for something, where I do not manually have to call the transformation process, but rather that the tool checks on its own whether both models are still in sync and if not, make syncronize them.

If there any technology there, which would allow me to work like this without painfully creating bidirectional mappings where I would have to manually call the transformation process to sync either model with the other.

I remember when I was working with GMF that it seemed that GMF could do both. Do I remember correctly? And if so, how could I utilize this for my own project where I do not want to create a graphical editor, but other software?

I hope you can help me find the status quo of the currently available technologies (eclipse projects, other open source projects, or even commercial ones). During my research I just found that these features were not available yet. But those were statements from a few years back and I wonder whether it changed now.

Best regards,
Muba

PS: If those two features are called with a certain term, please let me know.
Previous Topic:ATL- SCA empty output file
Next Topic:merge two models with same metamodel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:19:33 GMT 2024