Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse?
How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #648927] Sat, 15 January 2011 18:50 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've used Subversive for quite a while to check out, edit, and work with projects stored in SVN.

I'm experimenting with checking out a project from SVN from the command line, and then importing that project into Eclipse, to hopefully end up with a similarly-configured project, as if I had checked out the project in Eclipse.

With the project checked out from Subversive, it's fully connected with SVN, so it can get SVN info and history on elements.

If I check out the project from the command line and then import "Existing Projects into Workspace", the project is imported without any knowledge or connection to SVN.

I don't think the "Share Project" function is what I need here, as that seems like it wants to check in these files to SVN, but that's not what I need.

What are some reasonable options to get this done?
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #648947 is a reply to message #648927] Sun, 16 January 2011 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jörg Thönnes is currently offline Jörg ThönnesFriend
Hi David,

if your subversion repository is setup int the svn repository browser perspective as svn repository,
then Eclipse should detect that your project is shared after importing it in the way
you described below. We also do the initial check-out on the command line and then use "Import ...
Existing Projects into Workspace". This should work.

Cheers, Jörg

On 01/15/2011 07:51 PM, David M. Karr wrote:
> I've used Subversive for quite a while to check out, edit, and work with projects stored in SVN.
>
> I'm experimenting with checking out a project from SVN from the command line, and then importing
> that project into Eclipse, to hopefully end up with a similarly-configured project, as if I had
> checked out the project in Eclipse.
>
> With the project checked out from Subversive, it's fully connected with SVN, so it can get SVN info
> and history on elements.
>
> If I check out the project from the command line and then import "Existing Projects into Workspace",
> the project is imported without any knowledge or connection to SVN.
>
> I don't think the "Share Project" function is what I need here, as that seems like it wants to check
> in these files to SVN, but that's not what I need.
>
> What are some reasonable options to get this done?
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #648964 is a reply to message #648947] Sun, 16 January 2011 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jörg Thönnes is currently offline Jörg ThönnesFriend
Hi David,

maybe you have to close and re-open the project and/or restart Eclipse in order to make this work.

Cheers, Jörg

On 01/16/2011 12:17 PM, Jörg Thönnes wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> if your subversion repository is setup int the svn repository browser perspective as svn repository,
> then Eclipse should detect that your project is shared after importing it in the way
> you described below. We also do the initial check-out on the command line and then use "Import ...
> Existing Projects into Workspace". This should work.
>
> Cheers, Jörg
>
> On 01/15/2011 07:51 PM, David M. Karr wrote:
>> I've used Subversive for quite a while to check out, edit, and work with projects stored in SVN.
>>
>> I'm experimenting with checking out a project from SVN from the command line, and then importing
>> that project into Eclipse, to hopefully end up with a similarly-configured project, as if I had
>> checked out the project in Eclipse.
>>
>> With the project checked out from Subversive, it's fully connected with SVN, so it can get SVN info
>> and history on elements.
>>
>> If I check out the project from the command line and then import "Existing Projects into Workspace",
>> the project is imported without any knowledge or connection to SVN.
>>
>> I don't think the "Share Project" function is what I need here, as that seems like it wants to check
>> in these files to SVN, but that's not what I need.
>>
>> What are some reasonable options to get this done?
>
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #754882 is a reply to message #648927] Fri, 04 November 2011 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rubo77 Missing name is currently offline rubo77 Missing nameFriend
i have the same problem in eclipse with Subversive:
the way File->Import->General-> "Existing Projects into Workspace" doesent work,
it sais, "No projects are found to import" when i select the root directory

i used SVN Workbench on ubuntu and now i want to continue editing that existing Project with eclipse

it seems eclipse can only import projects, that were created by eclipse before.

is there another way to import it?
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #754883 is a reply to message #648927] Fri, 04 November 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rubo77 Missing name is currently offline rubo77 Missing nameFriend
i have the same problem in eclipse with Subversive:
the way File->Import->General-> "Existing Projects into Workspace" doesent work,
it sais, "No projects are found to import" when i select the root directory

i used SVN Workbench on ubuntu and now i want to continue editing that existing Project with eclipse

it seems eclipse can only import projects, that were created by eclipse before.

is there another way to import it?
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #755997 is a reply to message #648927] Thu, 10 November 2011 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Il 15/01/2011 19:51, David M. Karr ha scritto:
> I don't think the "Share Project" function is what I need here, as that
> seems like it wants to check in these files to SVN, but that's not what
> I need.

If Subversive finds the SVN metadata, doing a "Share Project" just
connects the project to the repository, it doesn't check in anything.
Anyway, the reason for which you were not seeing the project
automatically connected (assuming option Windows | Preferences | Team |
SVN | General | Enable automatic project share was checked) might have
been because of https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=336689,
which has been fixed in a version not released yet.

Workaround: do any SVN-related operation and/or add your repository in
the SVN repository explorer and you should see your projects connected.

Mauro.
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #755999 is a reply to message #754883] Thu, 10 November 2011 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Il 04/11/2011 19:45, rubo77 ha scritto:
> i have the same problem in eclipse with Subversive:
> the way File->Import->General-> "Existing Projects into Workspace"
> doesent work,
> it sais, "No projects are found to import" when i select the root directory

That function is to import (copy, move, link) existing Eclipse projects
into your current workspace, assuming they are in another one or in a
different folder.

If you want to create a project from sources existing in a "plain"
folder (or in a "project" created with other tools), you simply need to
create a new project in Eclipse (a Java project, for instance), set it
up as needed and than import your files using File | Import | General |
File System. However it's possible that SVN metadata are not imported in
this way.
The easiest way to create a new Eclipse project from plain files in a
SVN repository is to use the wizard File | Import | Project from SVN.

Mauro.
Re: How to open SVN checked-out project in Eclipse? [message #988649 is a reply to message #755999] Fri, 30 November 2012 21:14 Go to previous message
Omar Colombo is currently offline Omar ColomboFriend
When I installed Eclipse 4.2 Juno and had to import my existing projects into workspace, I also had to enable the 'SVN' entry under Window > Preferences > General > Appearance > Label decorations for my projects to visually appear connected to SVN (see also Window > Preferences > Team > SVN > Label decorations > Icon decorations).
Previous Topic:Sources for connector svnkit1.7
Next Topic:Question on accessing local folder that is linked to SVN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:31:23 GMT 2024