Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Eclipse Hangs/Pauses When I Start to Type <elem... in JSPX/XML Editor, Especially with Custom Tag
Eclipse Hangs/Pauses When I Start to Type <elem... in JSPX/XML Editor, Especially with Custom Tag [message #641275] Wed, 24 November 2010 17:26 Go to next message
bdferris@cs.washington.edu  is currently offline bdferris@cs.washington.edu Friend
Update:

I discovered that this issue only appears when I have a custom JSP taglib namespace defined for my JSPX file. In this case, it appears to be the xmlns:oba="/oba-tags" directive, though it appears to be an issue with anything I put here.

Note that I've had this taglib for a while and it's only recently that Eclipse has started hanging.

Original:

I am using Eclipse to edit a JSPX file using the XML editor. Whenever I start typing a new element (at the moment of typing the first character of the element name, the "<" has already been typed), Eclipse hangs / pauses for 5-10 seconds.

I'm not sure if this is an auto-complete issue or not. I've tried turning off every auto-completion feature I can find in the Eclipse settings, but auto-completion still seems to be on.

Specifically, when I type the "<" character, an auto-completion list of appropriate element names pops up immediately. If I then select on of those elements from the list, I get the same 5-10 second delay.

This delay also seems to kick in when deleting elements as well. Say I had started to add an element, typing "<s". I can backspace and delete the "s" character immediately, but when I attempt to delete the "<" character, I get the same pause.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's clearly made JSPX editing really painful. For what it's worth, I'm running Eclipse 3.6.1-M20100909-0800. I've tied running a "Check for Updates" in the last few days, but the problem still persists.

I've included the core of my JSPX file if that helps:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<html xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page" xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" xmlns:s="/struts-tags"
    xmlns:oba="/oba-tags">
</html>

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 03:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Hangs/Pauses When I Start to Type <elem... in JSPX/XML Editor, Especially with Custom [message #641372 is a reply to message #641275] Thu, 25 November 2010 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bdferris@cs.washington.edu  is currently offline bdferris@cs.washington.edu Friend
I finally figured out what was going on, but it took pulling up the org.eclipse.jst.jsp.core plugin in another workspace and walking through the code in the debugger while running my normal workspace in another Eclipse instance to figure out what was going on.

The issue turned out to be that my webapp was a Maven project that I had packaged recently, which meant there was a full extract of the exploded war in the project's /target directory. Every time I started typing a new element name named, the Taglib indexer reindexed all the files in the project looking for my local taglib definition. Reindexing all the jar files and resources in the exploded war directory took a substantial amount of time and was the cause of the hang/pause I experienced.

A temporary workaround was to clean my project to get rid of all those build artifacts. However, it would be great if my project's /target directory wasn't indexed every time I started typing an element name in a JSPX file.
Re: Eclipse Hangs/Pauses When I Start to Type <elem... in JSPX/XML Editor, Especially with Custom [message #641716 is a reply to message #641372] Sat, 27 November 2010 03:08 Go to previous message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Hi,

You may have some luck by applying the feature patch attached to bug 321602 with instructions at comment 10 [1]. The fix will be included in the second service release of Helios.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/321602#c10
Previous Topic:Re: Java EE Module dependencies not showing dependent JARs
Next Topic:Dynamic Web Project referencing some other projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:19:47 GMT 2024