Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse(Install components to do apps in Python & pyDev IDE in Eclipse)
Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse [message #638631] Thu, 11 November 2010 20:11 Go to next message
mariopapas  is currently offline mariopapas Friend
Hi, I would like to do a first time installation of Eclipse+pyDev into a Windows-XP-pro computer with Intel 3.2 GHz. CPU.
I intend to do programming for sequential file manipulation, file matching, filtering of data records, and sequential line-by-line reports generation. (no GUI at all). I am comfortable to initiate the finalized app programs with a command line .exe and a bunch of switches.
My target is to use ECLIPSE 3.6.1 with the Python language 2.6.66 or 2.7 and pyDev 1.6.3. to do all the necessary programming ( I am an ex-Visual-Basic programmer ).
I am not certain in which order I must download&Install the tools and development software components.
Let's say I start with Eclipse, in the main download page there are 10 packages to choose from:
I am thinking of downloading the: " Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers, 241 MB " .
Can a member in the forum help me confirm, If I am about to do the right thing ?
Also I would appreciate a general guidance as to the order in which I should download/install the various software components, and where I should be carefull to set/unset certain switches/options during installations.
Thanks a lot, and bear with me, ... I am a newcomer here.
Re: Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse [message #638640 is a reply to message #638631] Thu, 11 November 2010 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Have you been to the pyDev download page? They appear to have instructions for installing pyDev.

You should be able to use any Eclipse package as the base. The Eclipse update mechanism will allow you to add additional plugins as you need them.
Re: Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse [message #821915 is a reply to message #638640] Fri, 16 March 2012 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Draoer is currently offline John DraoerFriend
By the way, where IS the pyDev download page? I cannot find a link to it at all.
Re: Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse [message #822331 is a reply to message #821915] Fri, 16 March 2012 13:33 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Go to your favorite search site (google, yahoo, bing, etc) Enter pydev for the search. The first result should be the pyDev web site.
Previous Topic:difficulty with remote debug
Next Topic:Text Compare Colors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:29:20 GMT 2024