Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Localizing Splash Screen on AIX(Problems with localizing the splash screen for Portuguese and Chinese on AIX)
Localizing Splash Screen on AIX [message #633001] Fri, 15 October 2010 00:29 Go to next message
Paul Mac Alpine is currently offline Paul Mac AlpineFriend
Hello,

I am having a problem with displaying a splash screen for my application for the locales Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR), Simplified Chinese (zh_CN), and Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) on AIX. In Windows and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the splash screen is properly displayed for all of my locales. However, on AIX, the splash screen will not display for these three locales (not even the default English splash screen is displayed when I use these three locales). The splash screens for all of the other locales, German (de), Spanish (es), French (fr), Italian (it), Japanese (ja), Korean (ko), and English (default), work just fine on AIX. Also, the localized files for Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese that are not the splash screen work just fine (i.e.: Portuguese and Chinese are displayed for the application). It is ONLY the splash screen in these three locales and ONLY on AIX that do not work.

When I set up the splash screen for my application, I followed the instructions under "Replacing the splash screen" in the article http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Branding/branding-yo ur-application.html . Here is the file structure for my splash screens:

(Application plugin)/
  splash.bmp
  nl/
    de/
      splash.bmp
    es/
      splash.bmp
    fr/
      splash.bmp
    it/
      splash.bmp
    ja/
      splash.bmp
    ko/
      splash.bmp
    pt/
      BR/
        splash.bmp
    zh/
      CN/
        splash.bmp
      TW/
        splash.bmp

I execute my application with the argument -nl, providing the proper locale as the value. Again, everything works on Windows and RHEL, and the locales that only have the two-letter language code work on AIX. However, the locales that I use that have the two-letter language code and two-letter country code in the locale do not display the splash screen on AIX only.

I must be close, but I'm probably missing something small. I've tried putting a copy of splash.bmp in the pt/ and zh/ folders, tried moving the splash.bmp file to pt/ and zh/ and deleting BR/, CN/, and TW/ (choosing the zh_CN splash screen over the zh_TW screen), and tried deleting pt/ and zh/. However, these experiments changed nothing in AIX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For reference, I am using the Eclipse 3.5.2 plugin.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2010 00:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Localizing Splash Screen on AIX [message #633245 is a reply to message #633001] Fri, 15 October 2010 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Mac Alpine is currently offline Paul Mac AlpineFriend
Nevermind, I figured out the problem.

The translation team saved the splash screen images that were not showing up as a 8-bit depth BMP files, while all of the other BMP files were 24-bit depth BMP files. Apparently, AIX was not displaying these 8-bit depth files. After changing the bit depth of the files to 24-bits, everything is working.
Re: Localizing Splash Screen on AIX [message #1738404 is a reply to message #633245] Tue, 19 July 2016 13:18 Go to previous message
Liviu Jianu is currently offline Liviu JianuFriend
Paul Mac Alpine wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 19:57
Nevermind, I figured out the problem.

The translation team saved the splash screen images that were not showing up as a 8-bit depth BMP files, while all of the other BMP files were 24-bit depth BMP files. Apparently, AIX was not displaying these 8-bit depth files. After changing the bit depth of the files to 24-bits, everything is working.

I confirm that this fixed the same issue I was having after saving the splash.bmp file as 32 bit.

Previous Topic:Error during eclipse product export
Next Topic:How to override behaviour of "delete" in popup menu of project explorer?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:58:07 GMT 2024