Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » TPTP - 4.7 issues(Problems with TPTP usage)
TPTP - 4.7 issues [message #556204] Tue, 31 August 2010 11:00 Go to next message
John Baker is currently offline John BakerFriend
Hello,

I've successfully deployed the agent to a remote Linux server and it runs with Java 1.6. I started it using the ACStart.sh script.

Question 1: Why does the package include ACStart and RAStart? They are the same script and the docs refer to both - shouldn't one be removed?

I've started my Java application on the same machine and included the following options:

-agentpath:/path/to/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.javaprofiler/li bJPIBootLoader.so=JPIAgent:server=enabled;CGProf:contanalysi s=true

My benchmark is JProfiler - I want users to be able to connect to an agent with the Eclipse UI, press "record", run a set of actions, and then analyse what's happened to the VM - i.e. how many objects were created (compared to the start point in time), how much memory was consumed, etc.

I can't see fuch a function in the GUI - the monitoring appears real time, and a little slow.

Question 2: I see there are different types of profiling plugins - CGProf, ThreadProf, HeapProf. Isn't there one plugin that does everything?

Question 3: Is the use case above supported?

I sometimes find the Eclipse UI fails to find an 'agent'. The 'Test connection' button states the connection can be made to the agent, but the Agents view is problematic. It'll display "Pending" and that'll disappear. If I press refresh a few times, it may fially connect and allow me to select something. This UI doesn't seem to be very stable.

Question 4: Are there any plans to improve this process or explanations to why it takes so long to connect?

This project does look like it has a lot of potential but if I can't understand some of the basic concepts, I can't recommend it to end users. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

John
Re: TPTP - 4.7 issues [message #559160 is a reply to message #556204] Wed, 15 September 2010 19:34 Go to previous message
Jonathan West is currently offline Jonathan WestFriend

Hi John...
"Question 1: Why does the package include ACStart and RAStart? They are the same script and the docs refer to both - shouldn't one be removed?"

Both are included for backwards compatibility, and for individuals familliar with our old agent controller offering, which had only RAServer/RAStart. And you are correct, both are the same file.

"I've started my Java application on the same machine and included the following options:

-agentpath:/path/to/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.javaprofiler/li bJPIBootLoader.so=JPIAgent:server=enabled;CGProf:contanalysi s=true

My benchmark is JProfiler - I want users to be able to connect to an agent with the Eclipse UI, press "record", run a set of actions, and then analyse what's happened to the VM - i.e. how many objects were created (compared to the start point in time), how much memory was consumed, etc.

I can't see fuch a function in the GUI - the monitoring appears real time, and a little slow."

As you note, the data is more of a realtime view.

There are two ways to do recording style profiling with TPTP:
- Either: Disable the auto-attach on startup option (this is on the second page of the filter option), then attach to "record" and detach to "end recording". That way, only the data generate during attach will be collected.
- Or: Leave the auto-attach setting as is; pause as soon as the application launches, then resume to "record" and pause/detach to "end recording".

"Question 2: I see there are different types of profiling plugins - CGProf, ThreadProf, HeapProf. Isn't there one plugin that does everything?"

The new JVMTI based profiler (Java 5.0 and after) does not support this. In contrast, the old JVMPI-based profiler (Java 5.0 and before) had everything together.

No plans to integrate in the JVMTI profiler at this time.

I sometimes find the Eclipse UI fails to find an 'agent'. The 'Test connection' button states the connection can be made to the agent, but the Agents view is problematic. It'll display "Pending" and that'll disappear. If I press refresh a few times, it may fially connect and allow me to select something. This UI doesn't seem to be very stable."

Do you recall which launch configuration you were using when you saw this behaviour? (Attach to Agent / External Java Application / Tomcat / etc)? Was this a local profile or a profile of an application running on a remove machine?

"Question 4: Are there any plans to improve this process or explanations to why it takes so long to connect?

This project does look like it has a lot of potential but if I can't understand some of the basic concepts, I can't recommend it to end users. I'd appreciate your feedback."

The time it takes to connect can vary, and this is an issue which we have seen intermittently and continue to investigate on our side.
Previous Topic:Using DataPool in AGR
Next Topic:Why TPTP stop profiling after server started
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:38:13 GMT 2024