Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » PHP context sensitive help question
PHP context sensitive help question [message #543961] Thu, 01 July 2010 08:19 Go to next message
David is currently offline DavidFriend
Hi,

First my sincerest apologies for being such a newb. I tried to search the web and these forums for info on my question, but came up blank. I figure I'm not asking the question correctly, so here I am.

I noticed after installing Eclipse PDT that there isn't any context sensitive help for PHP functions. For example, if I highlight set_include_path and press F1 I just get a default 'About PHP Editor' in the Help window. So my question: Is there some kind of installable plugin that would give me this functionality?

Thanks in advance for your time.

--David
Re: PHP context sensitive help question [message #544415 is a reply to message #543961] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Hi David,

F1 is for the Eclipse Help (which you just opened), try F2 instead, it will open the PHP Manual.

But: That does only work on function names - so it won't work with language constructs (like IF, ELSE, FOREACH, EMPTY etc.).

Instead of pressing F2, you can just put the mouse over a function name and wait a little. It should show the help then.

Bonus: If you use PHPDoc comments for your functions, you get help for your code as well.

SHIFT+F2 will open a browser window with the PHP Manual Entry.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 15:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PHP context sensitive help question [message #544521 is a reply to message #544415] Sat, 03 July 2010 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi NoobieRoobie,

I like the name. Smile

Thanks! Your info was perfect.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, and in such a helpful manner. I give you karma++.

--David
Re: PHP context sensitive help question [message #544525 is a reply to message #544521] Sat, 03 July 2010 11:03 Go to previous message
By the way, in case anyone else comes across this thread, I'd like to point out something:

PHP or any other context help will not appear if you don't create a project first. My mistake was that I used Eclipse to just open a pre-existing .php file to take a quick look. If you do so, the code hints for php will not appear and F2 / Shift-F2 will not function.

This was very confusing for an Eclipse noob like me, hence the source of my initial question, which to the pros must look like a silly question. It would be nice if Eclipse would throw up a dialog box stating that context help is not available until a project is defined instead of just doing nothing and looking like its broken. Smile

--David
Previous Topic:Testing my PHP code with Eclipse
Next Topic:Semantic Highlighting Job error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:01:19 GMT 2024