Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » proxy does not work on Ubuntu (3.7 (helios) and 3.5 (galileo) are unable to work with proxy)
proxy does not work on Ubuntu [message #543875] Wed, 30 June 2010 22:02 Go to next message
Graeme Vetterlein is currently offline Graeme VetterleinFriend
I find this a little hard to believe. I thought it must be finger trouble or possibly some setup on my machine, so I tried on another Ubuntu (Karmic) machine box, same behavior.

Simple example, install Eclipse 3.6 goto help -> help contents and I get an error from my proxy (not on localhost):
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://127.0.0.1:43166/help/index.jsp

Turns out it is due to my desktop settings in Ubuntu I set System->preferences->Network Proxy, point at a proxy BUT have Ignored hosts set to localhost 127.0.0/8 *.local *.home

Despite this it seem to keep trying to get this page via the proxy.

If I go to : eclipse->preferences->general->networksettings I see I have NATIVE selected. I can try any/all combinations and nothing is affected.

I can however turn off 'network proxy' in Ubuntu ... THEN and only then do any of the settings inside Eclipse have an effect.

To reproduce this is very simple. Assuming you Don't need a proxy ... in ubuntu set the proxy to 1.2.3.4 and the the ignored hosts set as-is (the list above in fact) then do help -> help contents ...it will hang and then timeout. I tested this on a 2nd machine which did not use proxies.

BTW. I've since found a way to get this one page to work ... add 127.0.0.1 (ie single machine to exclude list , not a class C network) and it now excludes it .

It looks as if the Ubuntu settings are being used in preference to any other other and the syntax is not being parsed correctly.
Re: proxy does not work on Ubuntu [message #544948 is a reply to message #543875] Tue, 06 July 2010 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomasz Zarna is currently offline Tomasz ZarnaFriend
Graeme, it looks like a bug. Why don't you open a bug against Platform/Team in Bugzilla.
Re: proxy does not work on Ubuntu [message #544958 is a reply to message #544948] Tue, 06 July 2010 08:38 Go to previous message
Graeme Vetterlein is currently offline Graeme VetterleinFriend
Thanks, I have done as you suggest. The bug number is:

Bug 318969
Previous Topic:Disable editor tabs
Next Topic:Setting http.useragent for eclipse updates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:59:12 GMT 2024