Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql(Is it possible to return the first member of a collection in jpql)
Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql [message #542537] Fri, 25 June 2010 09:15 Go to next message
Olu  is currently offline Olu Friend
Hi,

Suppose I have an object from a class which has a collection.

e.g.

entity class A {
Collection col
}

Is it possible to write a jpql statement to only return the first element of the collection?

thanks,

[Updated on: Fri, 25 June 2010 09:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql [message #543161 is a reply to message #542537] Mon, 28 June 2010 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

You could do this a few different ways,

Query query = em.createQuery("Select a.col from A a where a.id = :id");
query.setMaxResults(1);

Query query = em.createQuery("Select b from A a join a.col b where a.id = :id");
query.setMaxResults(1);

"Select b from B b where b.id = (Select max(b2.id) from A a join a.col b2 where a.id = :id)"

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql [message #543162 is a reply to message #542537] Mon, 28 June 2010 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Also if it is a JPA 2.0 indexed list mapping, you can use the INDEX() function in JPQL.

Re: Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql [message #543256 is a reply to message #543161] Mon, 28 June 2010 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olu  is currently offline Olu Friend
Thanks for this James.

Your third option above would have worked only I need to return a member of the collection col from an arbitary number of calss A objects rather than for a given instance of A.

For example, if there were X class A objects I need a member of the collection (could actually be any member of the colllection) for each A - i.e. a member for X1, another for X2, etc.

You examples above did get me thinking but the jpql:-

select b from A a join a.col b
means b iterates through ALL collections in all of A OR - using your examples - just a given A.

I need an expression which allows me to extract a member from col on a per instance of A basis from any number of instances of A?

thanks,
Re: Returning 1 member of a collection using jpql [message #544786 is a reply to message #542537] Mon, 05 July 2010 14:04 Go to previous message

Just remove the "where a.id = :id"

Previous Topic:cached sql insert statement executed during query exection
Next Topic:Query to MappedSuperclass fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:48:16 GMT 2024