Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » JFace » using other celleditors than TextCellEditor with ObservableValueEditingSupport
using other celleditors than TextCellEditor with ObservableValueEditingSupport [message #542321] Thu, 24 June 2010 14:24 Go to next message
Henno Vermeulen is currently offline Henno VermeulenFriend
Remarks: I am basically building a utility which can bind a TableViewer to a list of model entities of one type in just a few lines with complete label and editing support. Each property of the entity corresponds to a column in the table and the correct label and editor for a column should be automatically determined by inspecting the class of the property.
This strategy could be made pluggable with convention-over-configuration, i.e. java.util.Date gets a rendere that shows only the date part and an editor which is date picker without time, but it can be overriden to show a time and use a picker for only the time part.
For relations to other entities a celleditor should show a combobox and use a pluggable strategy for populating them.

This seems like an extremely (!) common usecase which can save loads of time for writing the code to create tables. Before I reinvent the wheel, does there already exist such a utility which I can download somewhere?

My specific question:
I can already bind numerical values and Strings by using ObservableValueEditingSupport from Snippet032TableViewerColumnEditing.

I am stuck getting ObservableValueEditingSupport to work with other CellEditors than the TextCellEditor, specifically the ComboBoxViewerCellEditor.

From Snippet032TableViewerColumnEditing (and the bug report) I know I can bind a model property to a column with the TextCellEditor in this way:

IValueProperty cellEditorControlText = CellEditorProperties
			.control().value(WidgetProperties.text(SWT.Modify));

columnName.setEditingSupport(ObservableValueEditingSupport.create(
			tableViewer, bindingContext,
			new TextCellEditor(table), cellEditorControlText,
			propertyName));

My model class for the table row has a property of my own type whose value I would like to bind to a combo box of possible values. So I tried to use the ComboBoxViewerCellEditor which I populated with a few values of the same type as the property.

So I replaced the TextCellEditor by a ComboBoxViewerCellEditor. The binding should be to the single selection in the ComboViewer that is embedded in the ComboBoxViewerCellEditor. My first attempt was to replace cellEditorControlText by

CellEditorProperties
					.control().value(WidgetProperties.selection())

The combo box editor does show, but after selecting an item I get an "argument type mismatch" exception. I figured that I should really bind to the single selection of the "viewer" property inside the ComboBoxViewerCellEditor, so I replaced the above by

IValueProperty valueProperty = BeanProperties.value("viewer")
		.value(ViewerProperties.singleSelection());

This DOES correctly write the selected object to the property of my model, but every time I select something I get the following exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ComboBoxViewerCellEditor.addPropertyChangeListener(java.beans.PropertyChangeListener)
	at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1605)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.beans.BeanPropertyListenerSupport.processListener(BeanPropertyListenerSupport.java:96)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.beans.BeanPropertyListenerSupport.hookListener(BeanPropertyListenerSupport.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.beans.BeanPropertyListener.doAddTo(BeanPropertyListener.java:56)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.property.NativePropertyListener.addTo(NativePropertyListener.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.property.value.SimplePropertyObservableValue$3.run(SimplePropertyObservableValue.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm$1.run(Realm.java:148)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.safeRun(Realm.java:152)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.exec(Realm.java:170)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.property.value.SimplePropertyObservableValue.firstListenerAdded(SimplePropertyObservableValue.java:78)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.ChangeManager.addListener(ChangeManager.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.value.AbstractObservableValue.addValueChangeListener(AbstractObservableValue.java:46)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.value.DecoratingObservableValue.firstListenerAdded(DecoratingObservableValue.java:71)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.ChangeManager.addListener(ChangeManager.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.value.DecoratingObservableValue.addValueChangeListener(DecoratingObservableValue.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.value.DecoratingObservableValue.firstListenerAdded(DecoratingObservableValue.java:71)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.value.DecoratingObservableValue.addValueChangeListener(DecoratingObservableValue.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.observable.masterdetail.DetailObservableValue.<init>(DetailObservableValue.java:81)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.masterdetail.MasterDetailObservables.detailValue(MasterDetailObservables.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.property.value.ValueProperty.observeDetail(ValueProperty.java:55)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.databinding.property.ValuePropertyDetailValue.observe(ValuePropertyDetailValue.java:57)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.property.value.ValueProperty.observe(ValueProperty.java:35)
	at org.eclipse.jface.databinding.viewers.ObservableValueEditingSupport$1.doCreateCellEditorObservable(ObservableValueEditingSupport.java:64)
	at org.eclipse.jface.databinding.viewers.ObservableValueEditingSupport.initializeCellEditorValue(ObservableValueEditingSupport.java:150)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewerEditor.activateCellEditor(ColumnViewerEditor.java:194)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewerEditor.handleEditorActivationEvent(ColumnViewerEditor.java:444)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.triggerEditorActivationEvent(ColumnViewer.java:680)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.handleMouseDown(ColumnViewer.java:664)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.access$0(ColumnViewer.java:660)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer$1.mouseDown(ColumnViewer.java:89)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:179)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3880)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3473)
	at nl.hm.ilja.core.databinding.ManualTestColumnViewerSupport$1.run(ManualTestColumnViewerSupport.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at nl.hm.ilja.core.databinding.ManualTestColumnViewerSupport.main(ManualTestColumnViewerSupport.java:134)

And the same Exception with removePropertyChangeListener.

I also tried using a CheckboxCellEditor with
CellEditorProperties
					.control().value(WidgetProperties.selection());

and this doesn't seem to have any effect when I click the cell which is bound to a boolean property.
Re: using other celleditors than TextCellEditor with ObservableValueEditingSupport [message #542335 is a reply to message #542321] Thu, 24 June 2010 14:38 Go to previous message
Henno Vermeulen is currently offline Henno VermeulenFriend
I found someone else trying the same thing with a ComboBoxViewerCellEditor here and the bug report is here.

Will check this out now. UPDATE: this seems to work fine.

I also have a use case for binding to a multiple selection... I hope I will be able to implement this with an org.eclipse.jface.viewers.DialogCellEditor using the same idea.

UPDATE for the multiple selection: I decided to make my own SimplePropertyEditingSupport instead of ObservableValueEditingSupport. It can be instantiated with a property name and can update this property with the value returned by a celleditor. This is basically the same as ObservableValueEditingSupport but it does not update the editor if the model changes during editing.

Then I can it is quite easy to extend DialogCellEditor. See Snippet62TextAndDialogCellEditor. If you don't need in-place editing you only need to implement
protected Object openDialogBox(Control cellEditorWindow) 

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2010 08:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Exporting RCP product
Next Topic:Dialog is minimized when open in Display.asyncExec
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:10:16 GMT 2024