Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Method/Line code coverage JDK 6;JDK 5 in TPTP 4.6(Inconsistency for method code coverage option)
Method/Line code coverage JDK 6;JDK 5 in TPTP 4.6 [message #540478] Wed, 16 June 2010 10:20 Go to next message
Aditya  is currently offline Aditya Friend
Scenario 1:
-In the profiling monitor tab "Method code coverage" option does not appear even after installation of appropriate plug-ins.I am using TPTP 4.6;It does not come for JDK 5 nor for JDK 6.How ever same method and line code coverage option is available when I launch an application from outside the workbench with JDK 1.5 and VM argument -Xrunpiagent:server=enabled and I try "attach to agent".

How to get "Method and line code coverage" option available in monitors tab for above configuration and profile of application from with in workbench for both JDK 5 and JDK 6.

Scenario 2:
-Try to launch application in profiling mode with JDK6 and VM argument -agentlib..;from outsode the workbench.
-Not able to see Method code coverage/line coverage option in the "Attach to agent" of workbench.As JDK6 with JVMTI does not support -Xrunpiagent agument,I can't get method code coverage for an application based on jdk6.Generally we specify CGProf,ThreadProf or HeapProf.Is there similar command for Method code coverage or line code coverage while launching from outside the workbench,

Please suggest for how can I get method/line code coverage of an application from outside of workbench with JDK 6.
Re: Method/Line code coverage JDK 6;JDK 5 in TPTP 4.6 [message #541016 is a reply to message #540478] Fri, 18 June 2010 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As per TPTP release documents Code coverage technology is not dependent on any of other TPTP plugins or agent controller.
But when I try to "Engage line coverage" and try to launch an application from inside workbench with JDK 6 settings I get below error

ERROR: JVMPI, an experimental interface, is no longer supported.
Please use the supported interface: the JVM Tool Interface (JVM TI).
ERROR: JVMPI, an experimental interface, is no longer supported.
Please use the supported interface: the JVM Tool Interface (JVM TI).
Error occurred during initialization of VM
-Xrun library failed to init: piLLCAgent

As per above error it seems to looking for java.profiler and pillcagent library in the path.Even after adding them in the path I am still getting the same error.

I am sincerely a big fan of TPTP and its features and honestly appreciate the efforts gone behind its development.But this configuration settings at times,dampens my enthu.

Any help regarding this would be really appreciable.

Thanks,
Aditya
Re: Method/Line code coverage JDK 6;JDK 5 in TPTP 4.6 [message #541318 is a reply to message #540478] Sat, 19 June 2010 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan West is currently offline Jonathan WestFriend
Hi Aditya,

Code coverage support is "as-is" for TPTP. It is only available for JVMs that support the JVMPI JVM interface, which is Java 1.4.x, and Java 5. The JVMPI interface has been deprecated (by all JVM vendors) in Java 6 and up. TPTP has only implemented a JVMPI based code coverage agent, and thus TPTP code coverage is not available for Java 6 and up JVMs. This is also why you are seeing the experimental interface error; this is not from TPTP, this is from the JVM itself. TPTP has no plans to support code coverage for Java 6 and up (e.g. using the JVMTI interface).

As for why it the agent not show up in the workbench agent list when using Java 5, this is because when the workbench detects that Java 5 is installed, it defaults to the JVMTI interface. The TPTP JVMTI profiler is the preferred/support profiler for profiling Java 5 and up.

For Java 5, you can still use the command -Xrunpiagent param, as you noted above.
Re: Method/Line code coverage JDK 6;JDK 5 in TPTP 4.6 [message #542145 is a reply to message #541318] Thu, 24 June 2010 04:49 Go to previous message
Thanks Jonathan for the reply.It clarified my doubts.

Regards,
Aditya
Previous Topic:Forking junit tests within the junit plugin
Next Topic:IWAT0016E The Agent Controller is not available on host localhost
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:23:52 GMT 2024