Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer
icon5.gif  [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer [message #531474] Wed, 05 May 2010 07:48 Go to next message
Christophe Fondacci is currently offline Christophe FondacciFriend
Hello guys,

Trying to add tooltips on a common navigator view.
For now, I simply try this :
ColumnViewerToolTipSupport.enableFor(commonViewer)

And the label provider of this common viewer is an extension of CellLabelProvider with proper method definition.

The thing is that it does not work. When debugging, I can see a call to ColumnViewerToolTipSupport.shouldCreateToolTip(Event) going till line :
String text = labelProvider.getToolTipText(element);

Everything looks fine except that this labelProvider is not mine. Instead, it is a NavigatorDecoratingLabelProvider which inherit from the default tooltip methods implementation which do nothing.

How can I do to make it reach my class' methods ? Is there some adapters to declare or maybe some specific configuration of the common viewer ?

Thank you very much
Christophe
http://www.nextep-softwares.com
Re: [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer [message #531623 is a reply to message #531474] Wed, 05 May 2010 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francis Upton IV is currently offline Francis Upton IVFriend
Please file a bug about this; it looks like it's broken. Your analysis is a good one, thank you.

Re: [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer [message #531781 is a reply to message #531623] Thu, 06 May 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe Fondacci is currently offline Christophe FondacciFriend
Ok, thank you for your confirmation.

I've opened a bug :
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=311827

And looking for a workaround in the meantime... Just in case you have any idea Wink

Christophe.
http://www.nextep-softwares.com
Re: [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer [message #544226 is a reply to message #531781] Fri, 02 July 2010 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Leone is currently offline Mark LeoneFriend
I found a workaround that enables ColumnViewerToolTipSupport to work with the CommonNavigator.

Looking at the source code for CommonNavigator, I see that createCommonViewerObject(), which is invoked by createCommonViewer(), instantiates an instance of CommonViewer and calls init() on it. The init() method then invokes setLabelProvider(), with the argument being an instance of NavigatorContentServiceLabelProvider, wrapped in a NavigatorDecoratingLabelProvider. Method setLabelProvider then sets the label provider passed in to it on all columns in the viewer. NavigatorContentServiceLabelProvider does not extend CellLabelProvider, which is why it doesn't work with ColumnViewerToolTipSupport.

It's probably a bug that the framework doesn't call setLabelProvider() on the CommonViewer with the label provider declared for the CommonNavigator viewer. But fortunately, setLabelProvider() is a public method inherited from ColumnViewer, so you can do it yourself after the CommonViewer has been instantiated. You can do this either by

1) creating a subclass of CommonNavigator and overriding createCommonViewer() as follows:

public CommonViewer createCommonViewer(Composite aParent) {
    CommonViewer cv = super.createCommonViewer(aParent);
    cv.setLabelProvider(yourCellLabelProviderInstance);
    return cv;
}

or

2) Get a reference to the CommonNavigator from the Workbench, as shown here

http:// www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=154519&S=b b92e842b42bf3b9c54327c67cfacb62

then call
getCommonViewer().setLabelProvider(yourCellLabelProviderInstance);

I used the former method, and my tool tips show up on the CommonNavigator, and the labels also appear as before. Keep in mind that if you're switching from an ITableLabelProvider to a CellLabelProvider, you'll need to provide the labels in update() instead of getText().
Re: [CNF] Tooltips on CommonViewer [message #949037 is a reply to message #544226] Thu, 18 October 2012 16:13 Go to previous message
John Cortell is currently offline John CortellFriend
Mark Leone wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 01:15
I found a workaround that enables ColumnViewerToolTipSupport to work with the CommonNavigator.
...snip...
I used the former method, and my tool tips show up on the CommonNavigator, and the labels also appear as before. Keep in mind that if you're switching from an ITableLabelProvider to a CellLabelProvider, you'll need to provide the labels in update() instead of getText().

Thanks! I just tried this workaround and it works for me, too. Time will tell if there are any side effects, but so far so good.

One thing I ran into, and which I don't see mentioned here, is that your CellLabelProvider subclass must also implement ILabelProvider, or the view will experience a class-cast exception during initialization. The TreeFrame constructor assumes the viewer has an ILabelProvider. The implementation of the ILabelProvider methods can simply return null, as the MyCellLabelProvider.update(ViewerCell) method will have last say.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 16:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Wrong handler activation
Next Topic:Custom Plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:21:19 GMT 2024