Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Customized eclipse product
Customized eclipse product [message #528300] Tue, 20 April 2010 03:42 Go to next message
Isuru Udana is currently offline Isuru UdanaFriend
Is it possible to change the eclipse splash screen? Is it ethical to do so?

What I want to do is to create a customized eclipse product by installing a set of plugins to platform runtime binary. And distribute it with a new splash screen. Is it ethical?
Re: Customized eclipse product [message #528321 is a reply to message #528300] Tue, 20 April 2010 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
There are two ways to do so:
- extension point 'org.eclipse.ui.splashhandlers'
- config.ini see
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Branding/branding-yo ur-application.html

cheers
andreas

Isuru Udana wrote:
> Is it possible to change the eclipse splash screen? Is it ethical to do so?
>
> What I want to do is to create a customized eclipse product by
> installing a set of plugins to platform runtime binary. And distribute
> it with a new splash screen. Is it ethical?
Re: Customized eclipse product [message #528330 is a reply to message #528321] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to know it is ok to create a customized eclipse product(not a RCP application) with

platform runtime binary
+
set of my preferred plugins
+
few plugins I have developed

And I want to change the splash screen also. Is there any license or ethical problem?
Re: Customized eclipse product [message #528341 is a reply to message #528330] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

Isuru Udana a écrit :
> a customized eclipse product(not a RCP
> application)
This is basically the same thing. The Eclipse SDK is an RCP application.

> And I want to change the splash screen also. Is there any license or
> ethical problem?
There is no problem, MyEclipse does that for example.

--
Mickael Istria - BonitaSoft S.A.
http://www.bonitasoft.com/products/downloads.php
icon4.gif  Re: Customized eclipse product [message #528345 is a reply to message #528330] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HagenFriend
When you do your own distribution, please test if "update manager" still works properly before rolling it out.
You can do this by testing the scenarios "install another plugin" or "check for eclipse updates".

[If you want to prevent a customer doing any additional install or update, please disable the install/update feature completely and document properly why and that you did this.]

Customers using several such vendor-specific "eclipse distributions" (for embedded development) wanted to add (install) our plugin. They came to us with an "unresolved dependencies" error, but we found out that in all cases the problem was not with our plugin, with an invalid platform.xml file. Eclipse has "package tools" to help you make your own distribution and keep track of the used plugins, so please use them. Thanks!
Re: Customized eclipse product [message #528350 is a reply to message #528300] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:44 Go to previous message
Thanks for the replies Smile
Previous Topic:Is it possible to stop an editor from being restored if it is open when the workbench is closed?
Next Topic:what does 'isv' mean in '*.doc.isv'?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:05:05 GMT 2024