Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » NullPointer Exception During initializeGraphicalViewer(First steps with GEF gone wrong I suppose...)
NullPointer Exception During initializeGraphicalViewer [message #528126] Mon, 19 April 2010 12:52 Go to next message
Chris  is currently offline Chris Friend
Hi,

I'm currently working on a graphical editor for Eclipse (surprise!).

I tried to follow Elias Volanakis' ShapeEditor example as close as applicable for my task.

I wanted to have a very simple basis on which to expand later on:
The editor (simple window, no pallette required), the document model, one dummy document element and the corresponding EditPart and View. For reasons of simplicity, I did not concern myself with connections, yet. In my model there is only a list of rectangles with position and size, nothing else.

I set up the Model/EditPart/View infrastructure to the best of my knowlegde and then wanted to integrate it all into the editor. But during the initializeGraphicalViewer method there happens a nullpointer exception when registering the loaded diagram model to the viewer using setModel().

@Override
	protected void initializeGraphicalViewer() {
		GraphicalViewer viewer = getGraphicalViewer();
		viewer.setContents(getModel()); // set the contents of this editor

//TODO: listen for dropped stuff
	}

The stack trace is the following:
Quote:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.registerModel(Abs tractEditPart.java:777)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.register(Abstract EditPart.java:757)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.FreeformGraphicalRootEditPart.regi ster(FreeformGraphicalRootEditPart.java:233)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.ScalableFreeformRootEditPart.regis ter(ScalableFreeformRootEditPart.java:150)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addNotify(Abstrac tEditPart.java:229)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addNotif y(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:219)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(Abstract EditPart.java:198)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.SimpleRootEditPart.setContents(Sim pleRootEditPart.java:101)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.AbstractEditPartViewer.setContents( AbstractEditPartViewer.java:601)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.AbstractEditPartViewer.setContents( AbstractEditPartViewer.java:610)
at edu.rwth.hci.codegestalt.editor.CgtEditor.initializeGraphica lViewer(CgtEditor.java:69)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.createGraphicalView er(GraphicalEditor.java:153)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.createPartControl(G raphicalEditor.java:163)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(Edi torReference.java:662)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorRef erence.java:462)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(Workb enchPartReference.java:595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.setVisibleEditor(Ed itorAreaHelper.java:271)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.setVisibleEditor(Edito rManager.java:1417)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager$5.runWithException(Edi torManager.java:942)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run (StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3885)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :3506)
at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWindows(Work benchAdvisor.java:803)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$28.runWithException(Workbe nch.java:1384)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run (StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3885)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :3506)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2316)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:22 21)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:493)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start (IDEApplication.java:113)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)

As far as I can determine, the document was loaded fine and the model looks ok in the debugger (empty as the document, but not null).

I checked the model and the Editor in both my plug-in and the sample during runtime in the various stages of initialization (constructor, configureGraphicalViewer, initializeGraphicalViewer) and I could not find anything suspicious until the exception hits me.

It would be great to get any tips and insight on how to proceed from here.

Regards,
Chris
Re: NullPointer Exception During initializeGraphicalViewer [message #528147 is a reply to message #528126] Mon, 19 April 2010 14:16 Go to previous message
Chris  is currently offline Chris Friend
Solved the problem. Foolish me did not understand the difference between the root EditPart and the contents EditPart.

I let my contents EditPart (the EditPart that manipulates the root of the model) inherit from ScalableFreeFormEditPart. That was a bad move as the GEF Programmer's guide on page 3 tells me.

I do not yet fully understand the nature of my mistake and the reason for differentiating between root EditPart and content EditPart. So I will dig a bit more into the guide and Javadoc before proceeding.

Regards,
Chris
Previous Topic:property sheet : Using EMF with GEF
Next Topic:Saving figure Image - connections are cut short in image if scroll bars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:14:06 GMT 2024