Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » entity.getAlist() reopen de emFactory and entityManager that was previously closed!!(even in a relation marked as lazy and Cascade.Detach, is this correct?)
icon5.gif  entity.getAlist() reopen de emFactory and entityManager that was previously closed!! [message #527533] Thu, 15 April 2010 14:26 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hello guys!
Please could anyone give me some explanation about this?

I have a entity that have a collection of other entity. This relationship is marked as :
@OneToMany(mappedBy="xxx",fetch=FetchType.LAZY,cascade={CascadeType.DETACH})

then I create a factory and an entitymanager:

emf = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(PERSISTENCE_UNIT_NAME );
em = emf.createEntityManager();

after I load an instance of this entity:

entity= em.find(MyEntity.class, 123L);

after that I detach this entity and close the em and emf. I test all of this using:
em.contains(entity)
em.isOpen()
emf.isOpen()

After all of this I try to itirate over the association list of my entity, like this:
for(MyEntity2 e:entity.getMyEntities2()){
print...
}

At this moment the prompt console show that the eclipselink create a new connection, and do a query to load these objects!!!
Is this a good idea? I will always get an association list even in a detached and closed instance?

I believe this feature isn't part of specification and can work differently in others implementations...

What do you think about this?
Thanks!!!
Re: entity.getAlist() reopen de emFactory and entityManager that was previously closed!! [message #528141 is a reply to message #527533] Mon, 19 April 2010 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

EclipseLink does support access to LAZY relationships after the EntityManager has been closed. This is undefined in the JPA spec, but it a very desirable feature.

I'm not sure what you mean by detach, if you serialize the object, it will not be able to access LAZY relationships.

If you close the EntityManagerFactory, I would expect an error, this is odd. Is there something else holding onto the same EntityManagerFactory? If there is, then close will not actually close it.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: entity.getAlist() reopen de emFactory and entityManager that was previously closed!! [message #528249 is a reply to message #528141] Mon, 19 April 2010 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the answer James!

For detach I mean call the detach() method from entityManager.

I don't know if there are something holding the EntityManagerFactory but before close I call entityManager.clear() to detach all entities and after I test if the EntityManagerFactory is open:

emf.isOpen();

and the return is false.

But even now my entity can load the lazy associations creating a new connection and doing the queries. This isn't a problem for me, but open a opportunity to the programmer work in an inappropriate way.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2010 20:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: entity.getAlist() reopen de emFactory and entityManager that was previously closed!! [message #533567 is a reply to message #527533] Fri, 14 May 2010 15:03 Go to previous message
I'm working with with app managed jpa 2.0. That is the case:

There are two entities A and B. A has a list of B.
I load an A, detach and close entityManager.

Then I iterate over A.Bs.

Now I change some value in B and commit.

I reload A and list Bs. The new value don't come back!

If I restart the program or do a listAll directly over B then I get the correct A.Bs list.

How Is the best way to work on this?
Previous Topic:JPA query that returns LAST (youngest) entity (pk index) for ANY table
Next Topic:First Level Cache in EntityManager
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:23:59 GMT 2024