Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Integrating DLTK in a RCP application(DLTK seems to be tied to Eclipse IDE)
Integrating DLTK in a RCP application [message #503944] Wed, 16 December 2009 15:12 Go to next message
Milton  is currently offline Milton Friend
Hi,

I am creating an RCP application that allows to create, run and debug scripts using Rhino. I already have a GUI that allows to edit scripts using an editor with syntax highlight, debugging and running the scripts.

It wasn't until I decided to add code completion, hover help and a code tree that I found about DLTK while researching on the topic. I would really appreciate an advice at this point on what is better for me to do:

1. I could discard the current work and start from scratch trying to integrate DLTK JavaScript in my application.

2. I can keep my current work and try to use DLTK to build the AST and reuse as much as I can to provide code completion, hover help and a code tree.

My application extends JavaScript with some classes of my own, so whatever approach I take needs to allow this. Also, while following the Python tutorial it seems to me that DLTK is meant to be used in Plug-in Projects only, because it seems to rely heavily in Eclipses IDE features like project natures. Is it possible to integrate DLTK in a RCP application?

Is there any place where I can have more information about how to do this?

Thank you,
Milton.
Re: Integrating DLTK in a RCP application [message #506751 is a reply to message #503944] Sat, 09 January 2010 12:58 Go to previous message
Alex Panchenko is currently offline Alex PanchenkoFriend
Hi Milton,

Sorry for the late answer.

I think both projects win if you would use DLTK Javascript directly.

You are right that DLTK Core depends on org.eclipse.core.resources and EMF. It's hard to avoid them anyway, since other Eclipse subsystems (Debug, Editors, etc.) also depend on resources.
So, you just include these plugins into your RCP application and users' projects would be setup in the workspace, etc. like it works for you now in JDT Smile

Going this way would allow you to use DLTK plugins directly, without need to copy & paste individual classes, etc., so it's much easier for you to upgrade.
Also I hope that you would provide back some patches/improvements/extensions.

For development related questions it would be better to subscribe to dltk-dev@eclipse.org since it has more subscribers, etc.

Regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:a language embedded in java
Next Topic:XText Parser into DLTK Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:18:23 GMT 2024