Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider
Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492280] Mon, 19 October 2009 18:28 Go to next message
Bruno Fischel is currently offline Bruno FischelFriend
Hello,

I have created a few handlers and contributed them to a popup menu using the org.eclipse.ui.menu extension point. I am able to add those menu items fine but I haven't find a way to contribute those menu items to an existing sub-menu. That particular sub-menu is contributed through the navigatorContent extension point using an action provider.

I have tried:
popup:<view-id>?after=<sub-menu action provider id>
popup:<sub menu action provider id>

Though, nothing works. Is there a way around this? Do I need to create my own action provider to contribute to that sub-menu?

Is there an example out there showing how to use an action provider with the new command/handler API?

Thank you!
Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492295 is a reply to message #492280] Mon, 19 October 2009 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi,

have you tried the menu plugin spy? Alt+Shift+F2

Regards,

Aurelien Pupier

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492303 is a reply to message #492295] Mon, 19 October 2009 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the menu plugin py is only available for 3.5. I am on 3.4 (and cannot upgrade).

I can contribute to the sub-menu if I use actionProvider in navigatorContent and set the 'dependsOn' property to the sub-menu actionProvider id. Though, I am not able to do this using commands and the new menus extension-point. It seems to me that it is not possible to migrate menus contributed through the navigatorContent extension point to the new org.eclipse.ui.menus extension point.
Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492369 is a reply to message #492303] Tue, 20 October 2009 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
Bruno Fischel wrote:
> I believe the menu plugin py is only available for 3.5. I am on 3.4 (and
> cannot upgrade).

No, the plugin-spy is part of 3.4, I use it regularly still being on 3.4.2.

See also

http://www.eclipse.org/pde/incubator/spy/

which confirms that.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492532 is a reply to message #492369] Tue, 20 October 2009 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant the Menu plugin spy is not part of 3.4. I use the regular plugin spy but that is of no help for a menu (you can't invoke it on a pop-up menu).
Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492560 is a reply to message #492280] Tue, 20 October 2009 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

o.e.ui.menus can't see anything that comes in as an objectContribution, for example. The order that menus are created is:

1) programmatic
2) menu contribuitons
3) legacy contributions (object contributions, actionSets, etc)

PW

Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #492603 is a reply to message #492560] Tue, 20 October 2009 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. So if I understood correctly, I cannot contribute to legacy menus (created with o.e.ui.navigatorContent extension point for example) using the new o.e.ui.menus extension point.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I assume I can (programmatically) retrieve & call an IHandler in an IAction (I haven't tried that yet).

Re: Contributing a menu item to a sub-menu defined by an action provider [message #493637 is a reply to message #492603] Tue, 27 October 2009 12:43 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

Yes, you can execute a command programmatically:

IHandlerService hs = (IHandlerService) serviceLocator.getService(IHandlerService.class);
hs.executeCommand("the.command.id", swtEventOrNull);

where serviceLocator is one of the IWorkbench, IWorkbenchWindow, or IWorkbenchPartSite (view or editor site).

PW

Previous Topic:Integrated with Team
Next Topic:How to disable Project->Build menu item in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:30:47 GMT 2024