Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OSEE » Problem Trying a New Installation
Problem Trying a New Installation [message #487141] Tue, 22 September 2009 06:55 Go to next message
Ray Joseph is currently offline Ray JosephFriend
I could sure use some help. I would like to use the newest builds and instructions.

When I go to the download page, I only see the old version .7, similar with the documentation wiki.

Where can I get the new build and instructions?

So I am taking a new path for me. I am currently following the instructions from: http://wiki.eclipse.org/OSEE/Developers_Guide.

Everything seems to progress until I get to installing Xtext. The installation fails. I have restarted Eclipse a couple times with no luck. Xtext has four components so I attempted to install each individually with no luck. Here are the errors for each of the four components:

TMF: instructions say TMF XText SDK, Eclipse says TMF XTEXT SDK (Incubation) 0.7.2RC1 S200908110347
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Xtext Runtime (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext.runtime.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908110347)
Missing requirement: Xtext (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext 0.7.2.v200908110347) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.emf.ecore 2.5.0' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Xtext Runtime (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext.runtime.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908110347)
To: org.eclipse.xtext [0.7.2.v200908110347]

Xtext:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Xtext Antlr Feature 0.7.2.200908111925 (de.itemis.xtext.antlr.feature.feature.group 0.7.2.200908111925)
Missing requirement: Xtext (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext 0.7.2.v200908110347) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.emf.ecore 2.5.0' but it could not be found
From: Antlr-Tool Connector for Xtext 0.7.2.200908111925 (de.itemis.xtext.antlr 0.7.2.200908111925)
To: bundle org.eclipse.xtext 0.7.2
From: Xtext Antlr Feature 0.7.2.200908111925 (de.itemis.xtext.antlr.feature.feature.group 0.7.2.200908111925)
To: de.itemis.xtext.antlr [0.7.2.200908111925]

EMFT:
Software being installed: MWE Core (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908101326 (org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908101326)
Missing requirement: MWE Core (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908101326 (org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908101326) requires 'org.apache.commons.lang [2.1.0.v200803061811]' but it could not be found

M2T: Instructions say M2T XPAND SDK 0.7.2RC1, Eclipse says TMF XTEXT SDK (Incubation) 0.7.2RC1 S200908110347
Software being installed: Xtext Runtime (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext.runtime.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908110347)
From: Xtext Runtime (Incubation) 0.7.2.v200908110347 (org.eclipse.xtext.runtime.feature.group 0.7.2.v200908110347)
To: org.eclipse.xtext [0.7.2.v200908110347]

Is there a fix? Am I going down the wrong path? How can I proceed from here?

I would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,
ray

Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #487871 is a reply to message #487141] Thu, 24 September 2009 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark D-B is currently offline Mark D-BFriend
Hi Ray,

This is a shortened version of my original post because the new Eclipse forum has now lost it three times and my patience is tried!

I am able to run the PDE build, 'though have a problem part way through it with imports of net.jini.

My path to that was to download Eclipse Galileo then use the following updates:

Eclipse Update Sites
Open the Install utility (Help > Install New Software...).
• SVN Connectors:
• Work with: http://www.polarion.org/projects/subversive/download/eclipse /2.0/update-site/
(there is no space after eclipse in the above line - that's a forum weirdo!)
• Leave the filter blank.
• Select SVNKit 1.3.0 Implementation (Optional).
• Install and restart.

• Install BIRT (which will also install Lowagie iText):
• Work with the Eclipse install uri
• Select the feature "BIRT Framework"
• Install and restart.

• Install GEF:
• Work with: GEF updates - http://download.eclipse.org/tools/gef/updates/releases/site. xml
• Go to GEF SDK 3.5.0
• Select:
• Graphical Editing Framework Draw2d SDK
• Graphical Editing Framework GEF SDK
• Graphical Editing Framework GEF Zest Visualization Toolkit
• Install and restart.

I also added SVN PDE build - http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/ but am not sure that this is still needed.

These should be enough for the PDE build command line in the instructions to work.

Remember to edit the build xml files to add your proxy server if you need a proxy server to access the Internet.

All being well, we should both then be in the same boat. I'll post my resolution to the net.jini problem (have raised it as a bug but it may turn out not to be)

Hope this helps,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #488215 is a reply to message #487141] Sat, 26 September 2009 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark,

I almost followed your instructions. Here are the differences:
Installed BIRT framework from eclipse Business, information, charts . . . .
I did not see iText or Lowagie.

So I don't know if I got what I needed or should I go get Lowagie/iText.

After install of BIRT, there was a suggestion to update the perspective. There was a failure:
Error notifying registry change listener.
Invalid thread access

I don't know if there is any consequence to this.

• Installed GEF with no comments:

>I also added SVN PDE build
> http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/
>but am not sure that this is still needed.

The above suggested site does not exist.
So, per:
http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/downloads.php
I updated from:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/update -site/
I did not use:
Subversive Integration Plug-in's (Incubation)
I used:
Subversive SVN Team Provider Plugin (Incubation)

Further searching produced:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/)
This was installed. (The initial directions had a space between 'up' and 'date'.)

This leaves me with two more concerns:
1) Is there a problem with installing more than is needed (such as what may have happened with Subversive). And if so, how do I identify excess and how do I remove them.
2) What instructions can I follow to verify the installation and learn how to use the tool. I would like detailed instructions on how to get to such material.

Thanks,
Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #488821 is a reply to message #488215] Wed, 30 September 2009 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ray,

Sorry, I didn't spot that this new Eclipse forum had displayed another space that wasn't in the original text - looks like we may have to try code blocks for URLs to avoid that problem.

Having the extra Subversive content will do no harm at all - you will need that if you want to use SVN inside the Eclipse IDE anyway.

Do you mean from your last question that you have not tried running 0.7 yet? I would think it would be easier to get started with that before embarking on a build. The developers have not yet deployed an all-in-one for anything later than 0.7.

We have been using 0.7 in anger for a few months now, based on the downloads available at

http://osee.microdoc.com/node/2

The only immediate need we have to move forward is related to my enquiry about e-mail on the forum, where 0.8.2 will offer a more straightforward solution. This will only really matter if you are using ATS with a larger team.

If I misunderstood, and you have tried running 0.7 and want/need to move to 0.8, the next step is to run the PDE build. How to do so is described in the instructions you were looking at before - carry on through the "If Using Windows", "SVN Checkout", and "Build", sections.
Note that the PDE build does not complete for me at the moment but Ryan is sorting that out.

All the best,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #489070 is a reply to message #487141] Thu, 01 October 2009 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark,

Thank you for responding. I am sorry I was not clear. I will try to do better.

> Do you mean from your last question that you have not tried running 0.7 yet? I would think it would be easier to get started with that before embarking on a build. The developers have not yet deployed an all-in-one for anything later than 0.7.

I have run 0.7. I thought that there was an all-in-one for 0.8. I do not want to bite off more than I can chew; I am interested in learning how to use the tool. So if 0.7 is the latest stable version, I am there.

In the past, I was not able to get 0.7 working. I think that I have it now. Thus, I would like to test if. But if there is no formal test process, I would like to run it through some comprehensive demos.

> We have been using 0.7 in anger for a few months now, based on the downloads available at

>

I did not use the microdoc. That was what I attempted the last time and I couldn't get it to complete. This time I used your instructions and it completed and looks good.

I don't think I need to move to 0.8. From one of Roberts responses, I thought 0.7 had problems relative to the instructions on how to install it and that 0.8 would be out and aligned with installation instructions. But, from what you have said and after following your instructions, it looks like 0.7 is running.

I just need to learn how to use it. I have been through the general instructions on how to use Eclipse.

I would like to find a tutorial (one or more) that will guide me through the functionality of OSEE 0.7.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #489652 is a reply to message #487141] Mon, 05 October 2009 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay Ray. I'd say the best place for you to start would be the tutorial that the Ryan, Don, and Roberto presented at EclipseCON earlier in the year. This can be accessed from the OSEE Tutorial page
http://wiki.eclipse.org/OSEE/Tutorial

via the "this presentation" link.

With that, and the 0.7 microdoc installer, you should be able to get Define up and running, use the demo projects to understand what OSEE can do for your organisation, and then go on to look at ATS.

I started with these, then customised the database for our needs, and we have been running live with OSEE on a couple of projects to see if OSEE is the right way for us to go.

It helps if you have an idea of what you want your tools to do. In our case, we used a heavily customised version of IBM(Telelogic) DOORS for a joint-venture project in the past. There are reasons why DOORS is not ideal for us for the future, so I am looking to OSEE to provide the same functionality, though not necessarily in the same way, as I know benefits the business.

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #489953 is a reply to message #489652] Tue, 06 October 2009 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark,

I installed per the instructions you provided earlier in this thread. The installation seems to be good.

I have not had any luck trying to install from microdoc. The examples suggests an application server. I think this is what I have not been able to get to work from the microdoc site.

Is there a combination I need to be considering?

I have Postgres installed and it seems OK.

BTW, the pdf at the top of the tutorial page seems to be broken; I can only view the front page. The app crashes when I try to move to any other page.

Thanks,
Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #489971 is a reply to message #489953] Tue, 06 October 2009 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ray,

My earlier instructions will get you to the point of being able to build OSEE. You will then have to build both the client and the server before you are able to run it.

To just run it for evaluation, the all-in-one is much easier.

Please remember that OSEE is a client-server application. You need three things running to be able to test - a database (PostreSQL in our case), the application server, and a client.

For a real-world use case, the application server (typically running on the same machine as the database) serves many clients. For test purposes, we run all three on the same machine. However, the client won't connect to the database without the application server running.

So, if you have PostgreSQL and the client from microdoc running, you are nearly there.

I'll presume you downloaded and unzipped the app server, so you have a folder called app_server_0.7.0-2009-02-19_08_49. Go into that and copy runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.sh to runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.bat. It should contain
java -Dosee.log.default=INFO -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8089 -Dosee.connection.info.uri="C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\OSEE\connection.xml" -Dosee.db.connection.id=OSEE -Dosgi.compatibility.bootdelegation=true -Xmx512m -Dequinox.ds.debug=true -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.4.0.v20080326.jar -console

except, in your case, change the location of connection.xml to somewhere on your machine.

Create connection.xml with the following content

<DbConnection>

<DatabaseInfo id="postgresqlInfo">
		<DatabaseHome key="#DBHOME#"/>
		<DatabaseName key="#DBNAME#" value="OSEE" />
		<DatabaseType key="#TYPE#" value="postgresql" />
		<Prefix key="#PREFIX#" value="jdbc:postgresql" />
		<UserName key="#USERNAME#" value="osee" />
		<Password key="#PASSWORD#" value="osee" />
		<Host key="#HOST#" value="@AvailableDbServices.hostAddress" />
		<Port key="#PORT#" value="@AvailableDbServices.port" />
	</DatabaseInfo>

<ConnectionDescription id="postgresql" >
		<Driver>org.postgresql.Driver</Driver>
		<Url>#PREFIX#://#HOST#:#PORT#/#DBHOME##DBNAME#</Url>		
	</ConnectionDescription>

<AvailableDbServices>
		<Server id="OSEE" dbInfo="postgresqlInfo"
			hostAddress="localhost" port="5432"
			connectsWith="postgresql" isProduction="false" />
	</AvailableDbServices>
	</DbConnection>

As long as you created the PostgreSQL database with the users and passwords given in the instructions, that should be it! Just run runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.bat and the app server should be running.

Please let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #489974 is a reply to message #489953] Tue, 06 October 2009 17:11 Go to previous message
Sorry Ray, I forgot to add that I tried the PDF of the tutorial again. It works fine for me. Maybe try saving it to a file rather than opening it inside your browser.

All the best,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575669 is a reply to message #487141] Thu, 24 September 2009 15:57 Go to previous message
Hi Ray,

This is a shortened version of my original post because the new Eclipse forum has now lost it three times and my patience is tried!

I am able to run the PDE build, 'though have a problem part way through it with imports of net.jini.

My path to that was to download Eclipse Galileo then use the following updates:

Eclipse Update Sites
Open the Install utility (Help > Install New Software...).
• SVN Connectors:
• Work with: http://www.polarion.org/projects/subversive/download/eclipse /2.0/update-site/
(there is no space after eclipse in the above line - that's a forum weirdo!)
• Leave the filter blank.
• Select SVNKit 1.3.0 Implementation (Optional).
• Install and restart.

• Install BIRT (which will also install Lowagie iText):
• Work with the Eclipse install uri
• Select the feature "BIRT Framework"
• Install and restart.

• Install GEF:
• Work with: GEF updates - http://download.eclipse.org/tools/gef/updates/releases/site. xml
• Go to GEF SDK 3.5.0
• Select:
• Graphical Editing Framework Draw2d SDK
• Graphical Editing Framework GEF SDK
• Graphical Editing Framework GEF Zest Visualization Toolkit
• Install and restart.

I also added SVN PDE build - http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/ but am not sure that this is still needed.

These should be enough for the PDE build command line in the instructions to work.

Remember to edit the build xml files to add your proxy server if you need a proxy server to access the Internet.

All being well, we should both then be in the same boat. I'll post my resolution to the net.jini problem (have raised it as a bug but it may turn out not to be)

Hope this helps,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575709 is a reply to message #487141] Sat, 26 September 2009 01:27 Go to previous message
Mark,

I almost followed your instructions. Here are the differences:
Installed BIRT framework from eclipse Business, information, charts . . . .
I did not see iText or Lowagie.

So I don't know if I got what I needed or should I go get Lowagie/iText.

After install of BIRT, there was a suggestion to update the perspective. There was a failure:
Error notifying registry change listener.
Invalid thread access

I don't know if there is any consequence to this.

• Installed GEF with no comments:

>I also added SVN PDE build
> http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/
>but am not sure that this is still needed.

The above suggested site does not exist.
So, per:
http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/downloads.php
I updated from:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/update -site/
I did not use:
Subversive Integration Plug-in's (Incubation)
I used:
Subversive SVN Team Provider Plugin (Incubation)

Further searching produced:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/pde-up date-site/)
This was installed. (The initial directions had a space between 'up' and 'date'.)

This leaves me with two more concerns:
1) Is there a problem with installing more than is needed (such as what may have happened with Subversive). And if so, how do I identify excess and how do I remove them.
2) What instructions can I follow to verify the installation and learn how to use the tool. I would like detailed instructions on how to get to such material.

Thanks,
Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575739 is a reply to message #575709] Wed, 30 September 2009 12:29 Go to previous message
Hi Ray,

Sorry, I didn't spot that this new Eclipse forum had displayed another space that wasn't in the original text - looks like we may have to try code blocks for URLs to avoid that problem.

Having the extra Subversive content will do no harm at all - you will need that if you want to use SVN inside the Eclipse IDE anyway.

Do you mean from your last question that you have not tried running 0.7 yet? I would think it would be easier to get started with that before embarking on a build. The developers have not yet deployed an all-in-one for anything later than 0.7.

We have been using 0.7 in anger for a few months now, based on the downloads available at

The only immediate need we have to move forward is related to my enquiry about e-mail on the forum, where 0.8.2 will offer a more straightforward solution. This will only really matter if you are using ATS with a larger team.

If I misunderstood, and you have tried running 0.7 and want/need to move to 0.8, the next step is to run the PDE build. How to do so is described in the instructions you were looking at before - carry on through the "If Using Windows", "SVN Checkout", and "Build", sections.
Note that the PDE build does not complete for me at the moment but Ryan is sorting that out.

All the best,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575758 is a reply to message #487141] Thu, 01 October 2009 12:37 Go to previous message
Mark,

Thank you for responding. I am sorry I was not clear. I will try to do better.

> Do you mean from your last question that you have not tried running 0.7 yet? I would think it would be easier to get started with that before embarking on a build. The developers have not yet deployed an all-in-one for anything later than 0.7.

I have run 0.7. I thought that there was an all-in-one for 0.8. I do not want to bite off more than I can chew; I am interested in learning how to use the tool. So if 0.7 is the latest stable version, I am there.

In the past, I was not able to get 0.7 working. I think that I have it now. Thus, I would like to test if. But if there is no formal test process, I would like to run it through some comprehensive demos.

> We have been using 0.7 in anger for a few months now, based on the downloads available at

>http://osee.microdoc.com/node/2

I did not use the microdoc. That was what I attempted the last time and I couldn't get it to complete. This time I used your instructions and it completed and looks good.

I don't think I need to move to 0.8. From one of Roberts responses, I thought 0.7 had problems relative to the instructions on how to install it and that 0.8 would be out and aligned with installation instructions. But, from what you have said and after following your instructions, it looks like 0.7 is running.

I just need to learn how to use it. I have been through the general instructions on how to use Eclipse.

I would like to find a tutorial (one or more) that will guide me through the functionality of OSEE 0.7.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575769 is a reply to message #487141] Mon, 05 October 2009 13:39 Go to previous message
Okay Ray. I'd say the best place for you to start would be the tutorial that the Ryan, Don, and Roberto presented at EclipseCON earlier in the year. This can be accessed from the OSEE Tutorial page
http://wiki.eclipse.org/OSEE/Tutorial

via the "this presentation" link.

With that, and the 0.7 microdoc installer, you should be able to get Define up and running, use the demo projects to understand what OSEE can do for your organisation, and then go on to look at ATS.

I started with these, then customised the database for our needs, and we have been running live with OSEE on a couple of projects to see if OSEE is the right way for us to go.

It helps if you have an idea of what you want your tools to do. In our case, we used a heavily customised version of IBM(Telelogic) DOORS for a joint-venture project in the past. There are reasons why DOORS is not ideal for us for the future, so I am looking to OSEE to provide the same functionality, though not necessarily in the same way, as I know benefits the business.

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575800 is a reply to message #575769] Tue, 06 October 2009 15:14 Go to previous message
Mark,

I installed per the instructions you provided earlier in this thread. The installation seems to be good.

I have not had any luck trying to install from microdoc. The examples suggests an application server. I think this is what I have not been able to get to work from the microdoc site.

Is there a combination I need to be considering?

I have Postgres installed and it seems OK.

BTW, the pdf at the top of the tutorial page seems to be broken; I can only view the front page. The app crashes when I try to move to any other page.

Thanks,
Ray
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575819 is a reply to message #575800] Tue, 06 October 2009 16:57 Go to previous message
Hi Ray,

My earlier instructions will get you to the point of being able to build OSEE. You will then have to build both the client and the server before you are able to run it.

To just run it for evaluation, the all-in-one is much easier.

Please remember that OSEE is a client-server application. You need three things running to be able to test - a database (PostreSQL in our case), the application server, and a client.

For a real-world use case, the application server (typically running on the same machine as the database) serves many clients. For test purposes, we run all three on the same machine. However, the client won't connect to the database without the application server running.

So, if you have PostgreSQL and the client from microdoc running, you are nearly there.

I'll presume you downloaded and unzipped the app server, so you have a folder called app_server_0.7.0-2009-02-19_08_49. Go into that and copy runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.sh to runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.bat. It should contain
java -Dosee.log.default=INFO -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8089 -Dosee.connection.info.uri="C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\OSEE\connection.xml" -Dosee.db.connection.id=OSEE -Dosgi.compatibility.bootdelegation=true -Xmx512m -Dequinox.ds.debug=true -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.4.0.v20080326.jar -console

except, in your case, change the location of connection.xml to somewhere on your machine.

Create connection.xml with the following content

<DbConnection>

<DatabaseInfo id="postgresqlInfo">
<DatabaseHome key="#DBHOME#"/>
<DatabaseName key="#DBNAME#" value="OSEE" />
<DatabaseType key="#TYPE#" value="postgresql" />
<Prefix key="#PREFIX#" value="jdbc:postgresql" />
<UserName key="#USERNAME#" value="osee" />
<Password key="#PASSWORD#" value="osee" />
<Host key="#HOST#" value="@AvailableDbServices.hostAddress" />
<Port key="#PORT#" value="@AvailableDbServices.port" />
</DatabaseInfo>

<ConnectionDescription id="postgresql" >
<Driver>org.postgresql.Driver</Driver>
<Url>#PREFIX#://#HOST#:#PORT#/#DBHOME##DBNAME#</Url>
</ConnectionDescription>

<AvailableDbServices>
<Server id="OSEE" dbInfo="postgresqlInfo"
hostAddress="localhost" port="5432"
connectsWith="postgresql" isProduction="false" />
</AvailableDbServices>
</DbConnection>

As long as you created the PostgreSQL database with the users and passwords given in the instructions, that should be it! Just run runServer-PgSqlLocalAll.bat and the app server should be running.

Please let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Mark
Re: Problem Trying a New Installation [message #575841 is a reply to message #575800] Tue, 06 October 2009 17:11 Go to previous message
Sorry Ray, I forgot to add that I tried the PDF of the tutorial again. It works fine for me. Maybe try saving it to a file rather than opening it inside your browser.

All the best,

Mark
Previous Topic:Keeping branches for merge to other projects/variants
Next Topic:OTE traceability
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:17:55 GMT 2024