Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Eclipse plugin help
Eclipse plugin help [message #449427] Sat, 13 May 2006 00:48 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tarungec.yahoo.com

Hi,

I am developing a RCP application in which i need to make two plugins communicate using extension point. I have done a lot of search on google and eclipse.org but could not find a definitive source which tells how exactly to define an extension point in one plugin and in another plugin use that extension point. Can any one help me with this or post a link to some good source for this. I also have read the Clayberg and the eclipse RCP book but they also donot give any concrete example specifically on this. Thanks for the help.

Tarun
Re: Eclipse plugin help [message #449429 is a reply to message #449427] Sat, 13 May 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
I'd suggest getting used to how to use an existing plugin point (such as views) before writing your own :-) There are examples if you create a new plugin, and you can create an extension point for an action with a hello world button. You might want to read up on http://help.eclipse.org/help31/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/guide/workbench_basicext.htm

To implement your own extension point, you create a schema that defines what information your extension will provide. There's a schema editor which will allow you to create one, and then you can use it from another plugin:

http://help.eclipse.org/help31/topic/org.eclipse.pde.doc.use r/guide/pde_schema.htm

There's some sample code that allows you to process all registered extension points as well:

http://help.eclipse.org/help31/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/guide/runtime_registry.htm

That should give you the information you need; but you might like to experiment with creating a few plugins and dependencies on existing extension points first, before then creating your own extension point.

Alex.
Re: Eclipse plugin help [message #449434 is a reply to message #449429] Sat, 13 May 2006 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tarungec.yahoo.com

I have already tried few exmaples which use the existing extension points.

>>There are examples if you create a new plugin, and you >>can create an extension point for an action with a >>hello world button.

I was not able to find this example in the link you gave. That link has a lot of eamples but all use only existing extension points...
Re: Eclipse plugin help [message #449439 is a reply to message #449434] Sun, 14 May 2006 21:05 Go to previous message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
They were the last of the two URLs that I posted.

Regards,

Alex.
Previous Topic:export or launch cannot find any plugins
Next Topic:How to retrive absolute file path in rcp application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 07:37:24 GMT 2024