Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository(Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository)
Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository [message #1853093] Fri, 17 June 2022 11:35 Go to next message
Adam  Moore is currently offline Adam MooreFriend
index.php/fa/42208/0/For a college assignment, we had to import a java project into ecplipse from our College lecturers public GIThub repository, then add a final class into the project.
Obviously this project is assaigned to her repository.
Now im trying to upload the project from eclipse to my private GIThub repository, but im running into issues. When i right click the project then go to teams > committ. It's showing all the files in her repository, but when i select mt reposiutory to upload the project to, none of the files are showing up.

I already have my repository imported to eclipse, its just committing the project to that repository then is where im having the trouble.

I'll attach screenchots to this question for further explanation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Attachment: git2.jpg
    (Size: 1.22MB, Downloaded 557 times)
Re: Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository [message #1853148 is a reply to message #1853093] Mon, 20 June 2022 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Your lecturer should have given you an introduction to Github and how to work with it.

From your description it's next to impossible to know what's going on, and your photo of the git staging view is spectacularly unhelpful.

I can only guess what you did:
* You cloned your lecturer's Github repo.
* You imported the project and made your changes. The project would still be associated with your lecturer's repo!
* You cloned your private repo.
* And now you wonder how to get your change into your private repo.

Do this differently:
* Create a fork of you lecturer's repo on Github.
* Clone your fork.
* Import the project from your fork.
* Make your changes. (If you already have made changes before: copy them aside, then here copy them into the project.)
* Push to your fork.
* Once you're happy with it, do whatever your instructor said you should do to submit your assignment solution (probably create a pull request in the Github web UI).

At no point should it be necessary to clone your instructor's Github repo.
Re: Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository [message #1859319 is a reply to message #1853093] Tue, 30 May 2023 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alayne Dabney is currently offline Alayne DabneyFriend
Adam Moore wrote on Fri, 17 June 2022 11:35
index.php/fa/42208/0/For a college assignment, we had to import a java project into ecplipse from our College lecturers public GIThub repository, then add a final class into the project.
Obviously this project is assaigned to her repository.
I also have another homework where I have to write an assignment, and I am thinking about websited like https://papersowl.com/do-my-assignment that can do assignment online. What do you guys think about it, is it a worthy thing? Now im trying to upload the project from eclipse to my private GIThub repository, but im running into issues. When i right click the project then go to teams > committ. It's showing all the files in her repository, but when i select mt reposiutory to upload the project to, none of the files are showing up.

I already have my repository imported to eclipse, its just committing the project to that repository then is where im having the trouble.

I'll attach screenchots to this question for further explanation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

hey there, i don't know whether this thread is still actual, sorry in advance. I got exactly the same issue (were both lucky) and I am wondering if you have found any solutions for that. I'd appreciate any piece of advice, cause I am a bit desperate already ;\

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2023 10:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Struggling to upload java project to GIT repository [message #1859342 is a reply to message #1859319] Thu, 01 June 2023 07:11 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you have two separate clones then you have two different/separate folders on disk with the content (working tree) of each clone. The files you want to commit to any given clone must be physically nested in the working tree of that clone.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Velocitas
Next Topic:JDT Quick-Fix Question : Smart Insert of Semicolon ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:27:49 GMT 2024