Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17
Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1848174] Tue, 23 November 2021 13:10 Go to next message
Martin J is currently offline Martin JFriend
Hi,

I am testing a Swing-application and have run into a problem. A couple a weeks ago we changed java version from Java 8 to OpenJDK17 and now I can't start our AUT anymore. I get an exception when starting the AUT. Se exception from client.log below. As you can see in the log I tried to add parameter --illegal-access=permit but that was ignored. It seems as XStream serialization uses reflection which is not allowed anymore.

Is there any simple work-around to fix the problem? Does Jubula have to be updated since reflection is blocked in OpenJDK17?
Are you working on such an update? When can such an update be ready for release?

Kind regards,
Martin
* OpenJDK17
2021-11-23 13:46:19.175 [Connection.ReaderThread:Socket[addr=localhost/127.0.0.1,port=60001,localport=60034]] ERROR o.e.j.c.i.c.StartAUTServerStateCommand - AUTServer could not start: Unknown AUTServer exit code: 31.
 Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: "-javaagent:C:\dev\tools\jubula\jubula_8.8.0.034\ite\plugins\org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.agent_8.0.3.202007131040.jar"
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option --illegal-access=permit; support was removed in 17.0
WARNING: A command line option has enabled the Security Manager
WARNING: The Security Manager is deprecated and will be removed in a future release
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.AutServerLauncher.main(AutServerLauncher.java:97)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.agent.RCAgent.premain(RCAgent.java:108)
	at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:491)
	at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:503)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: Cannot access defaults field of Properties
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.PropertiesConverter.<clinit>(PropertiesConverter.java:46)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.setupConverters(XStream.java:647)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:445)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:385)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:352)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.tools.internal.serialisation.XStreamXmlSerializer.<init>(XStreamXmlSerializer.java:47)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.ReflectAccess.newInstance(ReflectAccess.java:128)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newInstance(ReflectionFactory.java:347)
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:645)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.tools.internal.serialisation.IXmlSerializer$Factory.create(IXmlSerializer.java:47)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.internal.parser.MessageSerializer.<init>(MessageSerializer.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.internal.Communicator.init(Communicator.java:272)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.internal.Communicator.<init>(Communicator.java:204)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.AUTServer.initAutAgentCommunicator(AUTServer.java:827)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.registration.AgentRegisterAut.register(AgentRegisterAut.java:128)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.AUTServer.registerAutinAgent(AUTServer.java:548)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.AUTServer.start(AUTServer.java:511)
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.AUTServer.main(AUTServer.java:385)
	... 16 more
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1848379 is a reply to message #1848174] Tue, 30 November 2021 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there anyone who has insights regarding this problem?
Maybe someone else have encountered this problem and can share their experience.

Kind regards,
Martin
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1848507 is a reply to message #1848379] Mon, 06 December 2021 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marvin Mueller is currently offline Marvin MuellerFriend
Hello,
There is one thing that must be done that Jubula(and its Xstream serializer) works with Java 17 and above.
--add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED
must be added to the start java parameters of the Application. I am unsure if more has to be opend for Jubula.

best regards
Marvin Mueller
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1848541 is a reply to message #1848507] Tue, 07 December 2021 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the reply. I was working along these lines and it feel good to get a confirmation that I am on the right path.

I have added the following arguments to my application.

--add-opens java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED

With the addition of the above I am now able to launch my application in the Jubula ITE and through the client API.

Kind regards,
Martin

Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1848567 is a reply to message #1848541] Wed, 08 December 2021 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI all,

Just wanted to say that I had to add more modules/packages to get the actual tests to work.
For instance the following had to be added to execute selectMenuEntryByTextPath:
--add-opens java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED

Which modules/packages to open can be seen in the rc_swing.log file

2021-12-08 09:39:55.639 [Connection.ReaderThread:Socket[addr=compute.example.com/127.0.0.1,port=64254,localport=64258]] ERROR o.e.j.r.c.commands.CapTestCommand - TargetException: 
java.lang.reflect.InaccessibleObjectException: Unable to make protected abstract boolean sun.awt.SunToolkit.syncNativeQueue(long) accessible: module java.desktop does not "opens sun.awt" to unnamed module @15aab8c6

Kind regards,
Martin
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1849178 is a reply to message #1848567] Thu, 06 January 2022 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marvin Mueller is currently offline Marvin MuellerFriend
Thanks for all your effort! Good to see that it is working now, i think this is the only way at the moment to get Jubula AUTs run with the new versions of Java. We cannot add these commands to the start of each AUT since we support also Java 7 AUTs which than does not start at all...

best regards
Marvin
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1854984 is a reply to message #1849178] Wed, 21 September 2022 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lynette Hsieh is currently offline Lynette HsiehFriend
Hello Jubula team,

I am running into the same issue with Jubula not able to start AUT running under OpenJDK 17.0.4.8.

Here are the details:
OS - Windows Server 2016
Jubula 8.8.0.034
JDK - (adoptium) openJDK 17.4.0.8

I have followed the same instructions as noted in this post but am still getting the same error. I start test using testexec.exe

I have tried adding more javargs such as
-J--add-opens com.thoughtworks.xtream=ALL-UNNAMED as well as
-J--add-opens org.xmlpull=ALL-UNNAMED
to no avail - meaning still see the same error as before

The error seems to come from the same spot in com.throughworks.xstream.converts.collections.PropertiesConverted.<clinit> but I can't seem to figure out what else is missing - the client.log did not contain any more info than the missing 'bundles'

This goes away as soon as I set jdk to 11 instead of 17.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Lynette

P.S. By the way the link to bredex.de for migration notes is broken.
http://testing.bredex.de/migration-information.html
Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1855275 is a reply to message #1854984] Thu, 06 October 2022 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lynette Hsieh is currently offline Lynette HsiehFriend
It took me a while to figure this out so I am posting what I did here, in this post, in case someone come across this same issue later on.

First off, all the 'add-opens' option is to be added to the actual command that starts the AUT, not in the Jubula IDE (project setup page) or when starting Jubula. Let me repeat - The actual command that starts the AUT - that was my first mistake.

Options that doesn't work:

• Jubula IDE AUT configure page
  • AUT Arguments
  • JRE Arguments

Second, I found that when running Jubula via the IDE, the client and agent logs are not very detailed and not very helpful in trying to figure out what is missing. What helped me ultimately in figuring out what is missing and getting past this issue with serialization, i.e. what needs to 'open' when starting the AUT, is to use the command line option

<Juluba_install>/ite/testexec.exe 

to start the Jubula tests/AUT. The data that appears in the console log (command line or terminal) provides much more information - actual exception and call stack - which helped in figuring out what is missing.

The bottom line is if you are running into same issue with serialization when starting your application using JDK 17 (and it works with other JDK versions - 8 or 11), you need to add the '--add-opens' line into the command that starts the AUT.

For me the call to start AUT is a batch (or sh) file, so I added all the missing '--add-opens' into the same line that starts the AUT.

Here is a snippet of what my command eventually looks like:

"%JAVA_PATH%" --add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.io=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED ... (other parameters that starts the AUT) 

At minimum, as mentioned in previous comments, you need to add the following line

to the starting command for your AUT. You can also add the

--illegal-access=permit 

when running in OpenJDK 17 (or above) just so you can see that this option is now deprecated in the (same) console log when starting AUT

Once you are successful - meaning you can see the line for deprecated option illegal-access AND see the add-opens line in your AUT start-up, you will now be able to see what else is missing.

Hint:
Start with the keyword "InvocationTargetException" in the console log. Look down from there until you see the 'InaccessibleObjectException" or any other exceptions that points to the exact issue that is causing the Exception - those at the items that needs to be 'opened'. A sample of what I mean is attached to this post under the file name "missingAddOpensOptionsWithJDK17.png"

Start adding those missing items, one at a time, to the same command that starts the AUT and run the testexec.exe command again. Repat until you no longer see any issues and finally see that AUT starting up.

Re: Unable to launch AUT with OpenJDK17 [message #1855931 is a reply to message #1855275] Thu, 10 November 2022 08:49 Go to previous message
Wolfgang Krechtig is currently offline Wolfgang KrechtigFriend
Hi Jubula Team,

i'd the same problem as Martin and Lynette described. With their tips it was possible to start the Java17 swift-app with Jubula 8.6.

These additional parameters will be used with the app:
--add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED

but.....

The methods "ub_cti_inputText / input text" and„ub_grc_click / click" doesn't work any more. Jubula stated "Configuration Error".

Other methods like "store value" or "Button exists" works fine. Also all objects are recognized in the object mapper

Do you haveany hints where to search for the origin of the "Configuration Error" ?

Additional:
- Same Problem with latest Jubula-Version 8.8.1
- ObjectMapper works fine. New Objects can be added
- right and left Mouseclick, Input Text doesn't work
- "ub_ctx_storeValue" works fine

Problem solved!
Solution: adding a fourth "add-opens" when starting AUT:
--add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED

But now mouse is moving veeeery slow. This Problem exist since JDK 11.0.12.x in Windows (see: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1109633/)

Workaround: (with Jubula 8.8.1, doesn't work with 8.6.0)
add
TEST_DISABLE_MOUSE_MOVEMENT=true
to AUT-Agents "System Environment Variables"

How to do:
Click in Jubula on menu "Test" -> "Properties" -> "AUTs" -> choose your "AUT" -> "Edit" -> choose your "AUT configurations" -> "Edit" -> "Expert" -> Enter "TEST_DISABLE_MOUSE_MOVEMENT=true" (without ") in "System Environment Variables" -> "ok" -> "ok" -> "Apply and Close"

Thanks to Martin J ! :-)

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2022 16:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Stuck after selecting value from combobox
Next Topic:Building Jubula
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 09:24:19 GMT 2024