Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Is PDT being actively maintained?(No merged PRs all year)
Is PDT being actively maintained? [message #1844972] Fri, 01 October 2021 11:04 Go to next message
Alex McKee is currently offline Alex McKeeFriend
It is a busy time for everyone, with the pandemic and other disruptions having caused no end of changes for most people. However I'm a little concerned that PDT seems to have stalled in development. It's been slow for a few years now but there's actually several PRs waiting for review in the PDT GitHub repo.

On the pdt-dev mailing list there's been some questions several times this year but no replies from the maintainers. Dawid has said that he's busy, but one of the beautiful aspects of open source is that many hands can make light work. Other developers can fix bugs and contribute toward new releases, even if we don't have the necessary experience with the project to achieve bigger goals like PHP 8 support.

I don't mean any of this as criticism, life can raise difficulties for anyone at any time and I certainly understand that PDT is large project with seemingly only one active maintainer, a very difficult task for anyone. However there have been quite a few people interested in getting involved, but no one can if the maintainers don't communicate beyond saying "I'm extremely busy [...] and haven't time for social messaging :/".

I've been looking at getting involved with PDT for about 3 years, so while I'm "new" I've also been an Eclipse PDT user for more than 5 years, and been tracking the pdt-dev mailing list for over a year and before that I kept a weather eye on the Eclipse bug tracker to see if there was anything I could contribute to. That it took me 3 years to contribute my first PR is largely because I was unsure if help was actually wanted, and like many others said on the pdt-dev mailing list I was encouraged by the move to GitHub but saddened that the project has seemingly stalled again. There's probably a lot of people out there who would contribute if the project didn't look stalled.
Re: Is PDT being actively maintained? [message #1847397 is a reply to message #1844972] Mon, 25 October 2021 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Preney is currently offline Paul PreneyFriend
Hi Alex:

I am posting because I was wondering and I am concluding the same thing: Eclipse PTP really appears not maintained at all --and it looks like it hasn't been for a long time. At bugs.eclipse.org searching for PTP yields hits but nearly all of the bugs show as "NEW", i.e., bugs are not being dealt with for years. So if PTP is being maintained, why are there so many bugs listed as "NEW"?

I showed up here because I wanted to see if I could find more information concerning get Eclipse's PTP working for remote use, debugging, etc. on compute clusters for researchers to use after a lot of effort trying to make things work. So far with PTP as it exists today I cannot honestly recommend it to others to use: it is frustrating to use, it crashes, its SSH access is slow, remote system module names are garbled/incorrect, etc.

Paul
Re: Is PDT being actively maintained? [message #1848040 is a reply to message #1844972] Thu, 18 November 2021 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julian Puglia is currently offline Julian PugliaFriend
It's literally been a full year since PHP 8 was released and Eclipse still doesn't support it. So, is PHP support in Eclipse dead or what? Does anybody have recommendations for other IDEs?
Re: Is PDT being actively maintained? [message #1848797 is a reply to message #1848040] Fri, 17 December 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilyas Bakirov is currently offline Ilyas BakirovFriend
PDT not dead and is under somehow maintained by few people. Look at https://github.com/eclipse/pdt repository where work in progress.
Re: Is PDT being actively maintained? [message #1850771 is a reply to message #1847397] Wed, 16 March 2022 14:45 Go to previous message
Alex McKee is currently offline Alex McKeeFriend
Apologies for missing your post Paul. Not sure if you were talking about Parallel Tools Platform (PTP) or PHP Development Tools (PDT) but if the latter then see my replies below.

Paul Preney wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 22:52

I am posting because I was wondering and I am concluding the same thing: Eclipse PTP really appears not maintained at all --and it looks like it hasn't been for a long time. At bugs.eclipse.org searching for PTP yields hits but nearly all of the bugs show as "NEW", i.e., bugs are not being dealt with for years. So if PTP is being maintained, why are there so many bugs listed as "NEW"?

I am not sure why bugs.eclipse.org is still showing all bugs as NEW, but I do know that for some time the GitHub Issues have been the main place to report bugs in PDT.

Paul Preney wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 22:52

I showed up here because I wanted to see if I could find more information concerning get Eclipse's [PDT] working for remote use, debugging, etc. on compute clusters for researchers to use after a lot of effort trying to make things work. So far with [PDT] as it exists today I cannot honestly recommend it to others to use: it is frustrating to use, it crashes, its SSH access is slow, remote system module names are garbled/incorrect, etc.

Some of these issues are, I think, part of Eclipse itself. However I have been able to use remote systems with Eclipse PDT. SSH and other types of remote file access do seem slow and unstable, though, I agree. I haven't seen the issue with garbled/incorrect names - that would seem to warrant a bug report, if you could.

Ilyas Bakirov

PDT not dead and is under somehow maintained by few people. Look at https://github.com/eclipse/pdt repository where work in progress.

There have been a few merged PRs since my original post but the flurry of activity in November quickly stopped again and after a maintenance release in December (including a small contribution from me) things have gone very quiet again sadly.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2022 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:SVN Version Error
Next Topic:Termination of Debugging session hangs PDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:40:10 GMT 2024