Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me.
Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843369] Mon, 26 July 2021 14:35 Go to next message
Brandon Lewis is currently offline Brandon LewisFriend
I've trying to upgrade my toolset from Photo and Sirius 6.3.0.

I'm trying to move to Eclipse 2020-06.

I start with the Eclipse 2020-06 Modeling package on linux and then install Xtext 2.22 (full upgrade over the install) then Sirius 6.4.1 (full upgrade over install).

I can't get ELK to work at all.... well, it did work at one point and then completely stopped working and now I've been through every install combo of Eclipse 2020-06 modeling and Sirius from 6.3.0 to 6.5.1 and I can't get ELK to do anything anymore except throw exceptions and not lay anything out.

_sometimes_ if I first lay out with Composite Layout, then I can retroactively get ELK to do something, but any new graph won't layout with ELK.

I've done multiple clean 2020-06 modeling installs stepping each upgrade through and just can't get it to work.

Installing Obeo Designer now for sanity check. (cause I'm losing some sanity here)

I went through the same troubles with Photon and 6.3.0, but eventually found an install order/set that worked. But I've been trying for days now with Eclipse 2020-06 and Sirus and can't get ELK to work.

I suspect something residual gets stored somewhere once an exception occurs that kills my install's capability to do ELK, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I"ve never seen that before.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2021 14:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843370 is a reply to message #1843369] Mon, 26 July 2021 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An hour later, same problems with Version 11.5.0 of Obeo Designer community.

Here's some exceptions, but it looks like I'm stuck on Photon and Sirius 6.3.0 for a while:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Call stack for thread ModalContext
at sun.management.ThreadImpl.dumpThreads0(Native Method)
at sun.management.ThreadImpl.getThreadInfo(ThreadImpl.java:461)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.reportInterruption(UILockListener.java:209)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.interruptUI(UILockListener.java:179)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PendingSyncExec.waitUntilExecuted(PendingSyncExec.java:92)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:142)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:5795)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.userConfirmsDeselection(ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.java:70)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.deselectViewpoint(ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.java:53)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelection$Callback.deselectViewpoint(ViewpointSelection.java:522)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.internal.commands.ChangeViewpointSelectionCommand.doExecute(ChangeViewpointSelectionCommand.java:135)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.RecordingCommand.execute(RecordingCommand.java:135)
at org.eclipse.emf.workspace.EMFCommandOperation.doExecute(EMFCommandOperation.java:119)
at org.eclipse.emf.workspace.AbstractEMFOperation.execute(AbstractEMFOperation.java:150)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:496)
at org.eclipse.emf.workspace.impl.WorkspaceCommandStackImpl.doExecute(WorkspaceCommandStackImpl.java:208)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.AbstractTransactionalCommandStack.execute(AbstractTransactionalCommandStack.java:165)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.AbstractTransactionalCommandStack.execute(AbstractTransactionalCommandStack.java:219)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.internal.viewpoint.ViewpointHelper$1.run(ViewpointHelper.java:294)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2021-07-26 08:26:07.529
!MESSAGE UI thread waiting on a job or lock.
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Call stack for thread main
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.waitForRun(ThreadJob.java:318)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.joinRun(ThreadJob.java:205)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ImplicitJobs.begin(ImplicitJobs.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.JobManager.beginRule(JobManager.java:298)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.util.Lock.uiSafeAcquire(Lock.java:354)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.acquire(TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.java:580)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.activate(TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.java:508)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionImpl.start(TransactionImpl.java:204)
at org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.tools.internal.editor.DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.reloadPalette(DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.java:259)
at org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.tools.internal.editor.DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.run(DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.java:146)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:40)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:185)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4928)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:4449)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:823)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:799)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.open(MessageDialog.java:394)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.openConfirm(MessageDialog.java:469)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation$1.run(ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.java:73)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PendingSyncExec.run(PendingSyncExec.java:68)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.doPendingWork(UILockListener.java:171)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.aboutToWait(UILockListener.java:139)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.LockManager.aboutToWait(LockManager.java:109)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.joinRun(ThreadJob.java:203)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.acquire(TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.java:580)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.activate(TransactionalEditingDomainImpl.java:508)
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.impl.TransactionImpl.start(TransactionImpl.java:204)
at org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.tools.internal.editor.DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.reloadPalette(DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.java:259)
at org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.tools.internal.editor.DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.run(DDiagramEditorSessionListenerDelegate.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.block(ModalContext.java:166)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:368)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:469)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.internal.viewpoint.ViewpointHelper.applyNewViewpointSelection(ViewpointHelper.java:298)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelection.openViewpointsSelectionDialog(ViewpointSelection.java:285)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelection.openViewpointsSelectionDialog(ViewpointSelection.java:267)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.internal.actions.session.OpenViewpointSelectionAction$1.run(OpenViewpointSelectionAction.java:63)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1158)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1047)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:658)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$$Lambda$37/1160112616.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:557)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:154)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:150)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.sirius.diagram 2 0 2021-07-26 08:26:07.533
!MESSAGE The tools for the diagram could not be computed. No VSM tools will be available in the palette.
!STACK 0
java.lang.InterruptedException
at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.util.Lock.uiSafeAcquire(Lock.java:419)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:823)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:799)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.open(MessageDialog.java:394)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.openConfirm(MessageDialog.java:469)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation$1.run(ViewpointSelectionCallbackWithConfimation.java:73)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PendingSyncExec.run(PendingSyncExec.java:68)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.doPendingWork(UILockListener.java:171)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UILockListener.aboutToWait(UILockListener.java:139)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.LockManager.aboutToWait(LockManager.java:109)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.joinRun(ThreadJob.java:203)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.block(ModalContext.java:166)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:368)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:469)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.internal.viewpoint.ViewpointHelper.applyNewViewpointSelection(ViewpointHelper.java:298)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelection.openViewpointsSelectionDialog(ViewpointSelection.java:285)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.business.api.viewpoint.ViewpointSelection.openViewpointsSelectionDialog(ViewpointSelection.java:267)
at org.eclipse.sirius.ui.tools.internal.actions.session.OpenViewpointSelectionAction$1.run(OpenViewpointSelectionAction.java:63)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1158)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1047)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:658)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:557)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:154)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:150)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.OperationCanceledException
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.waitForRun(ThreadJob.java:278)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.joinRun(ThreadJob.java:205)
Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843385 is a reply to message #1843370] Tue, 27 July 2021 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Barbin is currently offline Florian BarbinFriend
Hello,

I tested by installing the Sirius 6.4.1 features (with ELK experimental feature) on a modeling 2020.06 bundle and I didn't have any problem creating a modeler with an ELK layout.

I attached my sample. I just create a odesign based on ecore. One diagram without any ELK layout, and another one with an ELK layout. We can see that the arrange all action performs the ELK layout on the second diagram.

Regards,
Florian

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2021 09:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843388 is a reply to message #1843385] Tue, 27 July 2021 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the quick confirmation that someone can get it to work.

Would you speculate that maybe I'm having issues because my odesign.design file was authored in Sirius 6.3.0? Maybe there's some incapability? I supposed I could start over with a minimal odesign.design VSM and try building from the ground up.

I'll try your example in my install.

Thank you again for taking the time to experiment and answer.
Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843392 is a reply to message #1843388] Tue, 27 July 2021 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Barbin is currently offline Florian BarbinFriend
Quote:
Would you speculate that maybe I'm having issues because my odesign.design file was authored in Sirius 6.3.0?

It is possible that the odesign ELK layout configuration is not compatible with 6.4.1. The ELK integration is still considered as experimental and many improvements have been done for the 6.4 and 6.5 version [1] [2]
There are several bugzilla opened about identified issues [3]

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/sirius/doc/Release_Notes.html
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/sirius/doc/specifier/diagrams/Diagrams.html#useElk
[3] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=ELK&list_id=20845745&order=Importance&product=Sirius&query_format=specific
Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843501 is a reply to message #1843392] Mon, 02 August 2021 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really bizarre behavior on my side unfortunately.

If I start with a completely new workspace, I can get this example project to display the new TestDiagELK diagram once and once only.

Any manipulation to the project.odesign file and the workspace will no longer lay out anything. It's like the whole layout engine breaks with no error reporting.

I can even start with a clean workspace and ask it to draw a new TestDiagELK 2 - it won't even lay out a newly created diagram (even if I didn't manipulate the project.odesign file). Even on the clean diagrams (from a clean workspace and a clean unzip, if I pin any node, it'll never layout again.

Now that I have your example file, I can start all the way back with a clean 2020-06 install and just baby step through it. Something along the way of me installing what I need (xtext etc) is breaking something.

In my .metdata/.log I do see this:

Contains: File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti_0.6.1.jar
Contains: File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti.source_0.6.1.jar
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.pde.core 4 0 2021-08-02 12:19:32.896
!MESSAGE Problems occurred getting the plug-ins in this container
!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.pde.core 4 0 2021-08-02 12:19:32.896
!MESSAGE File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti_0.6.1.jar
!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.pde.core 4 0 2021-08-02 12:19:32.896
!MESSAGE File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti.source_0.6.1.jar

!ENTRY org.eclipse.pde.core 4 0 2021-08-02 12:19:32.908
!MESSAGE File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti_0.6.1.jar

!ENTRY org.eclipse.pde.core 4 0 2021-08-02 12:19:32.914
!MESSAGE File does not exist: /home/userid/Applications/eclipse_2020-06/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.elk.conn.graphiti.source_0.6.1.jar

Somehow I got a org.eclipse.wst.xml.core version that wants Java 11 (and I'm on 8), so that may be throwing things off too.

At any rate, I'll start from zero again and use your example to debug my way throw it.

Thanks again.
Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843502 is a reply to message #1843501] Tue, 03 August 2021 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The steady Java evolution and the Eclipse Platform's gradual migration to Java 11 has caused new subtle problems with each release.

I strongly recommend that if you want to use any of the IDE you regard Java 8 as dead. Java 8 is nearly dead for standalone usage too; you need to be careful in your own code and to use plugins where the developers were proactively careful.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Anyone have success with 2020-06 modeling, Sirius 6.4.1 and ELK? Not me. [message #1843746 is a reply to message #1843369] Mon, 16 August 2021 16:02 Go to previous message
I've got things working with these versions well enough on my WIndows box that I think I can confirm it does work.

On my windows box, I skipped ahead to Sirius 6.5.1 and ELK 0.7.1.

I suspect my primary issue was Java8 vs Java11 on my company's linux machines. Somehow, a dependency on Java11 snuck in and started breakign stuff.

On my windows machine, it's very easy for me to install my own Java11 - corporate linux machines, not so easy.
Previous Topic:[Sirius Web] Label position = node
Next Topic:Very Weird Casting Exception - I've Never Seen Anything Like This with EMF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:45:15 GMT 2024