Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Adding metamodel plug-in problem
Adding metamodel plug-in problem [message #1841464] Tue, 18 May 2021 00:42 Go to next message
Marcel Jezierski is currently offline Marcel JezierskiFriend
I am learning Sirius and I have followed every tutorial with basicfamily from Sirius. And in this example everything went okey. Now i have created my own project in the same way like in tutorial. And when it is step to add metamodel dependency I have no option to add my metamodel plug-in. Can someone give me any tip what I could have done wrong? If there is needed more information about my project to detect problem I can send more screens or code.
index.php/fa/40503/0/
Re: Adding metamodel plug-in problem [message #1841470 is a reply to message #1841464] Tue, 18 May 2021 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Presumably you will eventually package your metamodel as a plugin in a distribution that your users can install in just the same way as you installed Sirius. Your metamodel will then be available in the same way too.

However while you are developing it, it is not installed and you have an access problem.

The easiest solution is to do your Sirius-based editor development in a nested Eclipse so that your metamodel development in the outer Eclipse appears to be installed.

An alternative solution is to ensure that all references to your metamodel are of the form platfprm,:/resource/... Unfortunately this form of access is not uniformly supported by all tools so there may be obscure troubles.

It is tempting to try installing an early version of the metamodel. This may solves the problem in the short term, but will eventually lead to unpleasant metamodel schiophrenia as some parts of the tooling use the early installed version and other parts use the latest development version. This latter phenomenon can create problems later on once your early version evolves to the released version for your users, that is superseded by your development version. Development in your nested Eclipse then has two versions to choose from. Best to uninstall your release from the outer Eclipse.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Adding metamodel plug-in problem [message #1841473 is a reply to message #1841470] Tue, 18 May 2021 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your resposne Ed Willink.
Quote:
The easiest solution is to do your Sirius-based editor development in a nested Eclipse so that your metamodel development in the outer Eclipse appears to be installed.

I am not sure if i understand "nested Eclipse" correctly. Nested Eclipse means that I should launch a new runtime from my Eclipse where I have my metamodel (I am working on launched new runtime)? I am sorry if it is basic question but I would be grateful if you could explain me it more preciesly.
Best Regards,
Jezierski Marcel
Re: Adding metamodel plug-in problem [message #1841476 is a reply to message #1841473] Tue, 18 May 2021 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You launch a nested Eclipse using, Run->Run Configurations...->Eclipse Application->New Configuration.

You can import the same projects in the new workspace, but it is best to only have each project open in one Eclipse to avoid confusion from two builders updating at similar times.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Adding metamodel plug-in problem [message #1841601 is a reply to message #1841476] Fri, 21 May 2021 14:43 Go to previous message
You were right. New workspace helped. Thank you very much.
Regards,
Jezierski Marcel
Previous Topic:Fixing the Tree View window
Next Topic:Adding menu options when I right click on my diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:27:06 GMT 2024