Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse installer can't get through proxy, jvm cert issue?
Eclipse installer can't get through proxy, jvm cert issue? [message #1840417] Wed, 14 April 2021 20:28 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Every couple of years I have to set up a new laptop. I have my existing laptop, and I'm proceeding to install things on the new laptop. I'm up to the point of installing Eclipse. When I run the installer, it immediately pops up with an error saying "The catalog could not be loaded. Please ensure ...".

At that point, I configured the proxy to be identical to what I have in Eclipse on the old laptop, sitting right next to me. That had no effect.

Also note that I am connected to our VPN, and I have no trouble getting to internet or intranet web sites or other internal resources.

I note that within our firewall, we have to install a company-specific certificate in our JDK distribution in order for that JDK to be able to get past the firewall. All I have is the installer executable, so I don't know if there's any way to install a certificate anywhere that it could use.

What can I do to move forward here?
Re: Eclipse installer can't get through proxy, jvm cert issue? [message #1840426 is a reply to message #1840417] Thu, 15 April 2021 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you think a different JRE/JDK helps, you can get an installer that uses the JDK on your system from here:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer

That being said, https is not used to fetch the catalog so I doubt it's a related to that, but if something in your VPN is doing odd things, then maybe that is important. Windows defender could be blocking access as well.

You could try using the VM option -Doomph.setup.ecf.trace=true to get more detailed information about the flow of information over the network. It can also be useful to clear the ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/cache folder and then to see which resource have been downloaded and what their contents are when you the try the installer or IDE again. I.e., run *.exe -vmargs -Doomph.setup.ecf.trace=true 1> log1 2> log2 and maybe there are clues on how far its getting with network access.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse installer can't get through proxy, jvm cert issue? [message #1840437 is a reply to message #1840417] Thu, 15 April 2021 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim King is currently offline Tim KingFriend
I had the same problem, your advice gave me a solution - thank you

[Updated on: Fri, 16 April 2021 07:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse installer can't get through proxy, jvm cert issue? [message #1840505 is a reply to message #1840426] Fri, 16 April 2021 19:35 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I took the path of downloading the non-jre installer. That got through that issue.

I had an additional complication that I have my JAVA_HOME set to my JDK 1.8 distribution (even though Java 15 is in my PATH), and when I tried to run the installer, even after installing our root certificate in both our JDK 1.8 and 15 distributions, it said that I needed at least Java 11, which is completely understandable. I then realized that since you were suggesting that I could set command-line arguments on the installer similar to what I see in the eclipse.ini file, I simply specified the "-vm" parameter pointing to the "bin" directory of my JDK 15 distribution, and that let me proceed.
Previous Topic:Icons are missing in the Eclipse IDE Help
Next Topic:Natural Plugin Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 02:11:23 GMT 2024