Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » generate USE specifications form EMF metamodels or .ucls UML class diagrams
generate USE specifications form EMF metamodels or .ucls UML class diagrams [message #1838184] Thu, 18 February 2021 10:26 Go to next message
houda houda is currently offline houda houdaFriend
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a model2model transformation project to transform service description languages, in which I started initially by creating Ecore metamodels for the input and output models for each language. Once I was done with that, I implemented transformation rules using ATL and OCL .

However, for the validation of my transformations, I stumbled upon the fact that there exists no updated tools for OCL in EMF validations (except EMFtoCSP, which hasn't been updated for years).
So...
I figured I might use the UML-based specification environment (USE), which is still widely used in literature, so I transformed my Ecore models into UML class diagrams:
1) I used ecore-model.genmodel to generate the model code in java.
2) I used ObjectAid plug-in to drag and drop the generated classes from the first step to eventually get the graphical representation of my, now, UML class diagrams ( with .ucls extension).

However, again, by installing USE and trying to import the UML classes, none of my options was a suitable one for the tool (whether in java code from the first step, or as a graphical representation (.ucls)).

Now, I am aware that I can create new class diagrams using the USE tool, however, it will be very time-consuming for me. What I am asking for is:

1) A way (tool or plugin or other) to convert java code or .ucls classes or emf metamodels into USE specifications, so I will be able to use this tool for my validation.
Or
2) An alternative tool (which is updated and documented) for the validation of OCL in UML , which supports my already generated java code/UML classes.

I welcome any alternative suggestions to make this validation possible.

Thank you so much in advance.
Re: generate USE specifications form EMF metamodels or .ucls UML class diagrams [message #1838189 is a reply to message #1838184] Thu, 18 February 2021 11:17 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

This appears to be a continuation of your question on the Modeling newsgroup where you were directed to the OCL forum for OCL issues.

My earlier answer explained that USE was an independent framework, which has some benefits, but a major downside in that there is very little Eclipse interchangeability.

In your earlier question you were asking for OCL proofs for which I referred you to EMF2CSP as a possible alternative to Coq.

Now you just seem to want validation which is fully available in Eclipse.

If you have diagrams then within Papyrus you can invoke Validate and it should validate the model and the OCL.

If you only have models you can use the UML Model Editor and invoke Validate.

Unfortunately the UML2 project takes a narrow view of UML utility and so by default, UML Validate only validates the model without regards to the textual constraint bodies.

You may therefore find that invoking OCL->Validate from the context menu gives a more extension validation.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:Unable to Edit Dynamic Ecore Model Instance
Next Topic:[CDO] Where do I download a CDO server zip to deploy?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:05:51 GMT 2024