Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem Occurred Illegal char at index(Creating a local repository )
Problem Occurred Illegal char at index [message #1834900] Fri, 20 November 2020 05:26 Go to next message
Brett Gowder is currently offline Brett GowderFriend
In Windows 10, when I try to establish a user (Team > GIT > Configuration), I get the following error:

Problem Occurred Illegal char at index 26:/Users/ldc/git_remote/.git:/Users/ldc/git/.git:

It looks like there might be an issue with the path. Any ideas on how to fix?

From this video: Creating a local repository
(00:24)
LinkedIn Learning /eclipse-essential-training/creating-a-local-repository?u=2152601

Screenshot attached...

Thanks.
Re: Problem Occurred Illegal char at index [message #1834937 is a reply to message #1834900] Sat, 21 November 2020 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not clear where the path came from but ":" is the path separator for Linux while ";" is the path separator for Windows. So somewhere you're using the wrong path separator ':' and it's being interpreted as part of a file name rather than as separating two file names.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problem Occurred Illegal char at index [message #1834978 is a reply to message #1834937] Sun, 22 November 2020 17:20 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
@Brett: you have an invalid git config file. I also don't understand why you have Linux paths on Windows 10. How did you create that repository?

Can you show the content of the git config file that contains these paths? (Would be either a file called ".gitconfig" in your home directory, or a file at .git/config in the repository.)
Previous Topic:i got a error message when i ran a program
Next Topic:'Some eclipse soluntion or I cannot connect to MongoDB server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:10:49 GMT 2024