Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » SWT Menu Frozen on MacOS
SWT Menu Frozen on MacOS [message #1834649] Sat, 14 November 2020 14:24 Go to next message
Frank Leland is currently offline Frank LelandFriend
On startup on macOS, my SWT Java apps open correctly and the menu at the top of the screen is drawn, but it is inactive. Clicking on a menu item does nothing. Clicking on the Apple menu also does nothing. If I switch focus to another Mac app and switch back, the menu comes to life, menu item dropdowns work and the menu items themselves do their jobs. The behavior is the same when the app is launched from the Eclipse IDE or standalone. The same apps work normally on Linux GTK.

Eclipse 2020-09, SWT 4.17.
MacBook Pro, macOS Catalina 10.15
Re: SWT Menu Frozen on MacOS [message #1834680 is a reply to message #1834649] Sun, 15 November 2020 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin J is currently offline Martin JFriend
I also encountered similar problem many times. I think it's how macos works. Macos GUI is cranky.
Re: SWT Menu Frozen on MacOS [message #1834688 is a reply to message #1834680] Mon, 16 November 2020 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Leland is currently offline Frank LelandFriend
I've since made the effort to compile the code externally and wrap it in a Mac bundle. That works normally. Many dev tools advise that a macOS app won't work at all without this step, but it really slows down development. At least I have some functionality launching from Eclipse.
Re: SWT Menu Frozen on MacOS [message #1834851 is a reply to message #1834649] Thu, 19 November 2020 05:25 Go to previous message
Andy Maleh is currently offline Andy MalehFriend
Just CMD+TAB out and CMD+TAB back in again, and the menu works afterwards. This only happens to apps in development mode, but not executable wrapped production apps (e.g. APP/DMG).

Cheers,

Andy

EclipseCon / EclipseWorld / Agile Conference Speaker
Open-Source Software Author of Glimmer DSL for SWT

[Updated on: Thu, 19 November 2020 05:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Crash when using recent versions of SWT on Linux
Next Topic:DirectoryDialog - get most recent folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:19:49 GMT 2024