Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » [SOLVED] User sees update available from shared installation, but admin user does not(Can a user upgrade the a "shared" feature into their writable area)
[SOLVED] User sees update available from shared installation, but admin user does not [message #1833821] Sat, 24 October 2020 23:35 Go to next message
SP Chan is currently offline SP ChanFriend
I have two somewhat related problems with using a shared installation:

1. When I use a admin user that has write permissions to the shared area, the admin user doesn't see the Update as available - this surprises me.

Specifically:

User: shared/eclipse -configuration ~/eclipse/configuration
This user is seeing
Node.js embedder from Wild Web Developer
Wild Web Developer
has updates with Insufficient Access

Root user: shared/eclipse

...does not see any updates

Before I solve the user-can-see-update-but-admin-user cannot problem:
How can this user install the later version into their writable configuration folder ; i.e. "masking" the version from the shared installation - is ok in this context. We allow users to have their own set of plugins.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2020 02:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [SOLVED] User sees update available from shared installation, but admin user does not [message #1833825 is a reply to message #1833821] Sun, 25 October 2020 02:15 Go to previous message
SP Chan is currently offline SP ChanFriend
I solved the user-can-see-update-but-admin-cannot: not sure why but "Check for Updates" and Help->Eclipse Marketplace...->Installed.. are not quite in sync.

With the admin user, Wild Web Developer update is available via the Marketplace->Installed workflow.
With the normal user, the update is available via the "Check for Updates" workflow...

After updating the shared folder with the admin user, they both see the same state.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2020 02:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:What happens when a user-installed feature is subsequently installed to the shared installation?
Next Topic:Jakarta ee web project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:14:38 GMT 2024