Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Stop Eclipse Installer from tampering with Eclipse JRE
Stop Eclipse Installer from tampering with Eclipse JRE [message #1833352] Sat, 10 October 2020 03:57 Go to next message
Jan Mothes is currently offline Jan MothesFriend
Hello,

so i didnt use my Eclipse for a while, but made an update recently to 2020-09. Suddenly my Gradle projects stopped building. After an hour of trying things i saw that two new lines have appeared inside my eclipse.ini:

-vm
plugins/org.eclipse.justj.openjdk.hotspot.jre.full.win32.x86_64_14.0.2.v20200815-0932/jre/bin

So apparently, Eclipse Installer did this. And probably broke a bunch of Gradle projects worldwide, because Gradle Plugin has problems running on Java 14 (and Gradle Plugin itself always runs on Eclipses JRE). So I have always been very careful to run Eclipse on my specific JRE version 11 that works with Gradle.

So i have two questions:
1) How do i stop Eclipse Installer from ever touching my VM again? Is this possible? I dont see an option to change the VM anywhere in the Eclipse Installer UI, so i guess i just delete the lines and hope for the best?
2) After deleting the lines from eclipse.ini, how do i remove the vm? Just delete the folder from /plugins folder? Might it come back?

I understand why installing a JRE without asking might be a good idea for new installs, but for the love of god it should not change existing installs without asking.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 October 2020 03:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stop Eclipse Installer from tampering with Eclipse JRE [message #1833354 is a reply to message #1833352] Sat, 10 October 2020 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I think this is the same as this bug report:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/1105521/1833352/#msg_1833352

I.e., it seems that a p2 update automatically decides that installing a JustJ JRE (which is present in the EPP p2 repository for 2020-09) is a good way to update, even though there is no specific requirement for it in particular to be installed.

But I don't see activity on that bug since I moved the bug to EPP. I suppose everyone hopes/assumes that someone else will investigate... In any case, this is in no way related to the installer because it only makes decisions (has control) when first creating an installation from scratch.

I don't think removing something from the plugins folder manually is a good idea; it's likely to corrupt the installation. Better to uninstall it, but only the plugin is installed, not the feature, so there's really nothing available visibly to uninstall.

The -vm option will come back if there is an updated version available in the future...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Stop Eclipse Installer from tampering with Eclipse JRE [message #1833356 is a reply to message #1833354] Sat, 10 October 2020 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Mothes is currently offline Jan MothesFriend
Ok thanks for info. Wrong link?
Re: Stop Eclipse Installer from tampering with Eclipse JRE [message #1833360 is a reply to message #1833356] Sun, 11 October 2020 04:40 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry, wrong link:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=567504

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Oomph Customization
Next Topic:Can Eclipse Installer continue when Repository host name is unknown?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:54:50 GMT 2024