Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » make detail formatter code accessible from JDT
make detail formatter code accessible from JDT [message #1826899] Mon, 04 May 2020 09:12 Go to next message
Juergen Weber is currently offline Juergen WeberFriend
As I understand, after 20 years of Eclipse there is still no hexdump output for byte[] in the debugger.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/381546/how-can-i-display-a-byte-array-as-a-string-in-javas-debug-detail-formatter/381934

I'd like to have byte[] formatted like Linux's hexdump -C

My workaround was to put a static hexDump(byte[] ) method into a jar and drop this into lib/endorsed. So I could use the method as expression in the Expression view.

Starting with Java 9, this no longer works, as lib/endorsed is no longer supported.

How can I make my code accessible to the debug view? Create a plugin? How would I do that?

Alternatively, there is sun.misc.HexDumpEncoder()
How can I make it accessible from the debugger?

Thanks,
Juergen

Re: make detail formatter code accessible from JDT [message #1826972 is a reply to message #1826899] Tue, 05 May 2020 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
As I understand, after 20 years of Eclipse there is still no hexdump output for byte[] in the debugger.

Perhaps nobody has requested this in 20 years? :)

I also commented in SO.

We could certainly provide pointers how to get started rolling your own plug-in, but I see chances that we implement this directly in JDT, if asked :)
Re: make detail formatter code accessible from JDT [message #1827062 is a reply to message #1826972] Wed, 06 May 2020 14:10 Go to previous message
Juergen Weber is currently offline Juergen WeberFriend
OK, I created

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=562885

Looking forward to a solution,
Juergen
Previous Topic:How to search all references of a method ???
Next Topic:Breakpoint is always set to strike-off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:32:57 GMT 2024