Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Default e4 application project has errors
Default e4 application project has errors [message #1819525] Thu, 16 January 2020 18:33 Go to next message
Nico Beckers is currently offline Nico BeckersFriend
Hello,

Apart from the other problem I am having with my e4 application and java11, I am having a problem simply getting the default e4 application to run.

Even using a fresh (and latest, i.e. "eclipse-jee-2019-12-R-win32-x86_64" eclipse version, the default e4 application project shows errors and doesn't launch.

I changed the preferences, such that "JavaFX" -> "JavaFX 11 + SDK" points to the lib folder of the javafx-sdk (I tried the root folder as well, doesn't change anything), installed e(fx)clipse 3.6.0 via the market place and created a new "JavaFX" -> "OSGI" -> "e4 Application projects".

Then I get the following errors:

AbstractTheme cannot be resolved to a type	DefaultTheme.java	/test.app/src/test/app/themes	line 5	Java Problem
The import org.eclipse.fx cannot be resolved	DefaultTheme.java	/test.app/src/test/app/themes	line 3	Java Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.core.databinding' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 17	Plug-in Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.ui.databinding' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 18	Plug-in Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.ui.di' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 15	Plug-in Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.ui.services' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 24	Plug-in Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.ui.theme' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 14	Plug-in Problem
Bundle 'org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx' cannot be resolved	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 8	Plug-in Problem
'Automatic-Module-Name' header is required to be discoverable as a Java module in a Java modular setup (Java 9 and later)	MANIFEST.MF	/test.app/META-INF	line 1	Plug-in Problem
An entry for test.app/Application.e4xmi is required in bin.includes	build.properties	/test.app	line 1	Plug-in Problem

I tried with both AdoptOpenJDK11 and AdoptOpenJDK13.

This doesn't seem healthy...
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1819527 is a reply to message #1819525] Thu, 16 January 2020 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Well the problems indicate that you forgot to set a target platform
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1819550 is a reply to message #1819527] Fri, 17 January 2020 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see where I would do that. All I get is four projects (test.app, test.app.feature, test.app.product and test.app.releng). There is no test.app.target project and the wizard does not look like I could have done a lot different.

index.php/fa/37189/0/
index.php/fa/37188/0/
index.php/fa/37187/0/
index.php/fa/37186/0/
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820544 is a reply to message #1819550] Wed, 22 January 2020 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've now added a target definition, added http://download.eclipse.org/efxclipse/runtime-nightly/site as site and added the "Target Platform Feature".

index.php/fa/37215/0/

This seems to get rid of most of the errors, but there is one final error remaining, which I can't seem to get rid of:

index.php/fa/37216/0/

Adding http://downloads.efxclipse.bestsolution.at/p2-repos/openjfx-11/repository/ to the target definition as well and setting the openjfx features as "Included features" in the features.xml, didn't change anything :(

[Updated on: Wed, 22 January 2020 14:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820556 is a reply to message #1820544] Wed, 22 January 2020 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you set the JavaFX-SDK in your preferences?
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820577 is a reply to message #1820556] Thu, 23 January 2020 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it looks like this:

index.php/fa/37219/0/
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820774 is a reply to message #1820577] Tue, 28 January 2020 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have written blogpost how setup things https://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2020/01/28/setting-up-efxclipse-rcp-development-for-java11-and-pde/
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820898 is a reply to message #1820774] Fri, 31 January 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for!
I'm following your blog post to the letter, but the step where the local javafx jars from the javafx sdk's lib folder should show up as/under "Plug-in Dependencies" just does not happen (the lib folder is set in the eclipse JavaFX SDK path setting and the target platform for Plug-in Development is also set exactly as in your blog post):
index.php/fa/37259/0/

I think that is the final step that is missing in order to get this running.
Do you have any idea what is preventing it from detecting the javafx jars as plugin dependencies?

Also: Thanks a lot for the part on running the application as well! That will be super helpful, once it compiles.

Thanks a lot and sorry for replying so late. Somehow this forum seems to always automagically unsubscribe me from my subscribed topics, instead of notifying me (never got a notification so far) -.-
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820900 is a reply to message #1820898] Fri, 31 January 2020 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh boy. I got it!
I've used the AdoptOpenJDK13 instead of 11. Changing it and then restarting eclipse and reloading the target platform did the trick! Sorry and thanks! :)

I don't really understand why this happens with JDK13, but for now I'm just happy it works. :)
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820903 is a reply to message #1820900] Fri, 31 January 2020 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah! It works!
I was especially interested in the second option ("running with bundles javafx-modules") and got it running.
I feel like you should mention/stress that the "-Dosgi.framework.extensions=org.eclipse.fx.osgi" VM argument seems to be the one that is really necessary! It does not seem to be added by default and (if I am not mistaken) was only visible in one of your screenshots, but that one seems to be what does the trick!

Also, if you add the VM arg in the product file under the "Launching" tab and either add the javafx features and the org.eclipse.fx.runtime.e4fx.feature as included features in the feature.xml or as Features in the Content tab of the product file, you don't have to manipulate the run configuration (by hand) at all. You can just generate it by launching through the product file once.

Thanks a lot. That blog post was/is pure gold!
Re: Default e4 application project has errors [message #1820936 is a reply to message #1820903] Sat, 01 February 2020 16:02 Go to previous message
Well probably the best would be to transform it into our github wiki. If I find the time I'll do it.
Previous Topic:Java11 e4 application openjfx
Next Topic:e4 application javafx Classloading problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:01:28 GMT 2024