Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Installing All Software for Eclipse(Installing All Software for Eclipse)
Installing All Software for Eclipse [message #1819284] Sat, 11 January 2020 21:04 Go to next message
Eric Bresie is currently offline Eric BresieFriend
Okay...not sure if this is the way things should be normally installed, but the option is there so I'm trying it...

I am running with WIndows 10, Java 13. I have downloaded recent Eclipse 2019-12 build (installer and plain uncompressed/non-installer version) for the Java Enterprise (EE) version.

I was interested in doing C/C++ development, Python, and a few other types of development, so I figured I would install All the available software with the default sites available.

I went to the Install New Software from the Help menu. I selected All Available sites then did a "Select All" button and began the install process. This does not mean any additional software from the Market Place beyond the default available options.

After spending a while downloading and loading things, initially it seemed to startup okay but subsequent attempts seemed to failed to startup after configuring my cygwin environment (adding to the Path which was missing previous) to allow the C configuration to pickup the applicable compiler details.

After this it seemed to stall on startup just remaining on the splash screen and never able to get Eclipse running again.

I tried running eclipse -clean,
I tried removing files in the workspace metadata,
I tried deleting the workspace and none of this seemed to resolve the problem.

I was thinking some plugin of the "All Software" may have corrupted something or cause some conflicting behavior in some way.

Or maybe having all this software is in someway making the memory needs more than a default configuration (in the eclipse.ini) which may be hindering things from starting properly.

Is having "All Software" a valid configuration?

Or is it better to have multiple Eclipse installs with a subset (i.e. have the Java Enterprise install, have a Python Install, have a C/C++ Install, etc.)?

Do I need to add more memory or any other eclipse.ini configuration to help in this?
Re: Installing All Software for Eclipse [message #1819285 is a reply to message #1819284] Sat, 11 January 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

There are a lot of languages installed that you're not going to care about, and I think a couple of Features that are there mostly to be compiled against. I suspect Ed will weigh in. My own usage pattern is for dedicated installations and workspaces for the larger, separate, areas of work I do.

To start diagnosing what's going on, check the suggestions at https://wiki.eclipse.org/IRC_FAQ#Crashers.2C_Freezing.2C_and_other_Major_Issues

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Sat, 11 January 2020 21:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing All Software for Eclipse [message #1819291 is a reply to message #1819285] Sun, 12 January 2020 07:21 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, don't install everything. I reported the problems with installing everything in the cross project's mailing list:

https://www.eclipse.org/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg17240.html

Firstly the problem is that the IDE won't even start, and secondly even if you get the IDE to start, it's full of so much horrible stuff that no one would want to use this.

So only install what you need (as you need it) and most likely you'll be best off, as Nitin suggests, with a C/C++ IDE that's separate from a Java IDE or a Phython IDE. When you install using the installer, you can create many installations easily and can do so quickly because they will all share the same plugins that are placed in the one shared bundle pool. For testing all this stuff, I literally have hundreds of installations without filling up my entire disk. So better create dedicated installations and separate workspaces for working on these different types of things. It's unlikely that all these things will be parts of a single logic "project". Even for Oomph, where I do have some native code written in C, I use a separate C/C++ IDE for working on those parts...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:2019-12 fails to install TCF , but detect the download site
Next Topic:Activate the setting "Use temporary JAR to specify classpath" by default
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:30:17 GMT 2024