Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Fail to get inherited EAttribute with Resource.getObject(String uriFragment)
Fail to get inherited EAttribute with Resource.getObject(String uriFragment) [message #1818757] Fri, 27 December 2019 10:56 Go to next message
Fabien Giquel is currently offline Fabien GiquelFriend
Hi everyone,

I encounter the following problem, both with old org.eclipse.emf.ecore old 2.12 or more recent 2.19.
I create a EPackage dynamically and register it in EPackage.Registry (i.e. no genmodel). There is a EClass "A" defining a EAttribute "name", and a EClass "B" inheriting from "A".

• Test1 : When I first try to get the "name" EAttribute with Resource#getObject("/0/B/name") (invoked on resource containing dynamic EPackage instance) -> I obtain null.
  • Test2: after a sequence of various other invocations, including EClass#getEStructuralFeature(...) on B, a new try on Resource#getObject("/0/B/name") will success in giving the "name" EAttribute.

Debugging into the Resource#getObject(..) brings me to EClassImpl#eObjectForURIFragmentSegment(String uriFragmentSegment) code. If "eAllStructuralFeaturesData" cache has been initialized before ("Test2" case), we get the result from getEStructuralFeature(..). Else ("Test1" case) the code delegates to super.eObjectForURIFragmentSegment(..) which searches on direct contained features (from B) but not on super types (like A).

Is it a wrong idea to try to get "name" from uri "/0/B/name" rather than "/0/A/name" ?
For now i have a simple workaround in adding a loop of "useless" EClass#getEAllStructuralFeatures() invocations, just after dynamic EPackage creation.

Thanks for help.

----------------------------------------------------
Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
Re: Fail to get inherited EAttribute with Resource.getObject(String uriFragment) [message #1818759 is a reply to message #1818757] Fri, 27 December 2019 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Technically it's not 100% correct that the optimization in eObjectForURIFragmentSegment that calls getEStructuralFeature ever returns a feature that isn't contained by the EClass instance. But no serializer would ever produce that fragment path in the first place., because a reference to the feature "name" would build a fragment path that navigates though "A" not through "B". But the context of your question is missing, i.e., where does a path like "/0/B/name" come from in the first place? That isn't a good idea and you should not try to get it to work with workarounds but rather should avoid this.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Fail to get inherited EAttribute with Resource.getObject(String uriFragment) [message #1818761 is a reply to message #1818759] Fri, 27 December 2019 14:37 Go to previous message
Fabien Giquel is currently offline Fabien GiquelFriend
Thanks for the explanation,

"/0/B/name" kind of path is produced by one of our tool which iterates on all attributes for some EClasses. It produces automatically some EMFFacet model where one FacetAttribute references indirectly one EAttribute by this "/0/B/name" path.
The mechanism has worked for a long time. The bad practice is now revealed since we have changed from java generated to dynamic EPackage.
I will see in our tool implementation to fix it.

Regards,

Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
Previous Topic:Behaviors for proxy contained in containment feature after
Next Topic:Ecore Inheritance in the same Namespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:04:03 GMT 2024