Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Deployment decisions for an exported RCP Product(I would like to learn about the different options to install an rcp product plus their consequences)
Deployment decisions for an exported RCP Product [message #1818636] Fri, 20 December 2019 22:18 Go to next message
Daniel Mising name is currently offline Daniel Mising nameFriend
Hi there,

i am having a hard time to discern the consequences of the different options of how to deploy an rcp product on windows.

The most detailed resource is a whoppin' 14 years old. Despite its age (if there have not been significant changes in that area) it is still very informative!

Nevertheless for me it is a challenge to condense the written knowledge into an "implementation path"

Could someone maybe help me clearing the view for getting the following setup to work:

I have
- two roles of users
- one network share
- one exported rcp product.

The admin has read/write access to the network share
The user has readonly access to the network share

The admin copies the extracted folder structure of exported product to the network share.
The user starts the exported product via the rcp product .exe file in the share.

- Should the admin (with read/write access) start the rcp product .exe once before users get to use it?
- What are the consequences if the admin runs it?
- Are there areas to look into for changes since 2005?

I would be glad if some of you with experience could chime in with knowledge or pointers (URLs / searchengine-fu) concerning the habits of running a multi-user rcp-product from a network share

cheers
Daniel

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2019 22:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deployment decisions for an exported RCP Product [message #1819296 is a reply to message #1818636] Sun, 12 January 2020 12:27 Go to previous message
Daniel Mising name is currently offline Daniel Mising nameFriend
By accident i stumbled upon the following interesting bits contained here:

https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/readme_eclipse_4.14.php#RunningEclipse

"Shared Install"

The startup speed of a shared install can be improved if proper cache information is stored in the shared install area. To achieve this, after unzipping Eclipse distribution, run Eclipse once with the "-initialize" option from an account that has a write access to the install directory. See shared installs in Eclipse Help for more information.

The "shared installs" URL goes to 404, sadly. But with a little digging i found out it points to my beforementioned URL about Eclipse multi-user installs ( which still is Last Modified: June 17th, 2005)

no complete answer, but some more details as to what to do ...
Previous Topic:Non-default Perspective Content no Showing
Next Topic:Debug configuration - HELP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:27:39 GMT 2024