Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » JAVA instead of C++ [SOLVED](I installed Elipse as an IDE for C++, but got Java instead?!)
JAVA instead of C++ [SOLVED] [message #1818306] Thu, 12 December 2019 08:43 Go to next message
James Elliott is currently offline James ElliottFriend
I have enrolled in an online Udemy course to learn C++ and following the tutor's advice, and instructions, I successfully installed Eclipse, including some add-ons from the Marketplace, and the g++ compiler (I am using a Linux computer - Linux Mint 19).

Everything seemed to be working fine, so I went back to the tutorial to create a "Hello World" program. However, when instructed to open a new C+ + project I found I only had the option to open a new Java project. Indeed, my Eclipse Welcome screen is titled: "Welcome to the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers"

What have I done wrong?
How do I put it right? ( and get an IDE I can use for C++ ? )

Many thanks,

James.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 December 2019 00:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JAVA instead of C++ [message #1818317 is a reply to message #1818306] Thu, 12 December 2019 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Hi,

When you are on the Downloads page you have to click on "Packages" to display the list of Eclipse IDE variants. From there you can download the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ variant.

As a side note, CDT, which is the plug-in that provides support for C/C++ can be added to any Eclipse IDE installation with the Help > Install new Software... menu. Details on CDT's download page.
Re: JAVA instead of C++ [message #1818471 is a reply to message #1818306] Tue, 17 December 2019 00:03 Go to previous message
James Elliott is currently offline James ElliottFriend
Thank you - that worked!

I will try and find my way back to my original post and mark is "[SOLVED

James
Previous Topic:Plugin not loaded on runtime eclipse
Next Topic:"Error in Services Launch Sequence."
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:32:03 GMT 2024