Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Please verify my first "commit" - is it in my local repository ?
Please verify my first "commit" - is it in my local repository ? [message #1816824] Thu, 07 November 2019 17:25 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
Can somebody kindly assure me that I did "commit" to MY local repository and NOT to git hub?
I am very concerned about that.
Cheers
Re: Please verify my first "commit" - is it in my local repository ? [message #1816827 is a reply to message #1816824] Thu, 07 November 2019 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, origin/master is "behind" master, and your clone will be decorated with up/down arrows with numbers indicating the number of commits that your master is relative to HEAD and origin/master.

I think it's fine and good that EGit "only" provides integration as a GUI for Git. In my opinion it does this awesomely well. I'm not sure what other "integration" I would expect of it. It does exactly what it should do, providing context menus (Team) in all contexts where that makes sense, and decorating the workspace views to show what's under version control and what state the files are in (dirty, staged, deleted, not yet committed). I expect after using it for a while, everything will seem obvious and intuitive...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Please verify my first "commit" - is it in my local repository ? [message #1816832 is a reply to message #1816827] Thu, 07 November 2019 22:21 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
The git commit command is always a local operation in git.
Actually most git commands are local operations on your local clone having a working tree
(the version you checked out to your local filesystem + the edits you did on this checked out version).

Only a few commands handle passing data between different repositories (push, fetch, pull, remote, ls-remote).
You can transport a commit created locally to another repository by using the git push command.
Vice versa you can get commits from another repository using the git fetch command.
Server side repositories are bare repositories having no working tree.
Previous Topic:Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException
Next Topic:What is an equivalent of "Build"(project) in "Git repositories " perspective ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:49:06 GMT 2024