Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Installer error
Eclipse Installer error [message #1808441] Mon, 24 June 2019 16:34 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello all,

I am currently trying to install the latest version of eclipse. I haven't ever used it before and I seem to be running into some issues installing it. My roommate attempted a fresh install and everything worked, so the problem is something locally on my end. I have attached the error messages below. Any suggestions?

index.php/fa/35800/0/
index.php/fa/35801/0/
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808454 is a reply to message #1808441] Tue, 25 June 2019 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The -vm argument looks a bit odd, i.e., it seems to be running the server version of Java.

Could you try running it from the command line like this so that it specifically uses the java.exe in the bin folder:

"<path>/eclipse-inst-win64.exe" -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.1\bin\java.exe"

Please let me know how that works out.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808476 is a reply to message #1808454] Tue, 25 June 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I opened up the cmd prompt and I seem to be getting "system cannot find the file specified" messages. I'm also a newbie to all this so it's possible I'm just enetering it wrong, so feel free to explain it like I'm 5.

I created a folder under program files called "Eclipse" and placed the eclipse-inst-win64.exe in it.

So in the command prompt I've put in "<C:\Program Files\Eclipse>/eclipse-inst-win64.exe -vm C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.1\bin\java.exe" exactly like that. If there's any mistakes in there, please let me know.

Edit: I managed to get a browser window to pop up stating:

Unfortunately the Java version needed to run Eclipse Installer couldn't be found on your system. You need the following version or a higher version:
Java 1.8.0 (64 Bit)

Please download and install a Java Runtime Environment (JRE), or a Java Development Kit (JDK) if you plan to do Java development
Oracle JDK 12 Oracle JRE 12
Manual addition of --add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM required for applications based on Eclipse Neon (4.7) or older.
Oracle JDK 11 Oracle JRE 11
Manual addition of --add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM required for applications based on Eclipse Neon (4.7) or older.
Oracle JDK 10 Oracle JRE 10
Oracle JDK 9 Oracle JRE 9
Oracle JDK 8 Oracle JRE 8
★ The best default choice that is most compatible with all current and older Eclipse products.

Are there one or more of these I should add?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2019 14:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808490 is a reply to message #1808476] Tue, 25 June 2019 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The <path> was meant as something your replaced with a real path. So probably you should use:
 "C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse-inst-win64.exe" -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.1\bin\java.exe"

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808494 is a reply to message #1808490] Tue, 25 June 2019 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
So when I enter "C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse-inst-win64.exe" -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.1\bin\java.exe", the installer comes up, but then gives the following error messages:

index.php/fa/35807/0/

index.php/fa/35808/0/

index.php/fa/35809/0/
  • Attachment: eclipse4.PNG
    (Size: 50.23KB, Downloaded 1408 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse5.PNG
    (Size: 20.31KB, Downloaded 1403 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse6.PNG
    (Size: 6.92KB, Downloaded 1335 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2019 16:39] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808495 is a reply to message #1808494] Tue, 25 June 2019 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In your new image I see a -vm specifying a jdk1.8.0_112, but also the server version. So I'm a bit confuse about what versions of Java you have. And it seems particularly odd that you get this new message when you specify some other -vm. Did you get the installer from this link?

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/epp/2019-06/R/eclipse-inst-win64.exe

You could try to specify the path of the java.exe in the bin folder of the jdk1.8.0_212 folder, though that should just be found just by default...

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808498 is a reply to message #1808495] Tue, 25 June 2019 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
The jdk1.8.0_112 was from an earlier attempt I had made on my own after getting a message saying "Java version needed to run Eclipse Installer couldn't be found on your system." I went ahead and did a fresh install of both Java and Eclipse just a minute ago to where I am getting the same original issue. The cmd prompt of "C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse-inst-win64.exe" -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.1\bin\java.exe" still gives me an error message of:

Internal Error: Could not initialize class org.eclipse.oomph.jreinfo.JREManager

index.php/fa/35813/0/

Details:

index.php/fa/35814/0/

Followed by:

index.php/fa/35815/0/
  • Attachment: eclipse6.PNG
    (Size: 6.92KB, Downloaded 1270 times)
  • Attachment: Eclipse7.PNG
    (Size: 51.54KB, Downloaded 1343 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse8.PNG
    (Size: 21.07KB, Downloaded 1346 times)
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808512 is a reply to message #1808498] Wed, 26 June 2019 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. So the installer shows you the first page and then when you click on the package/product you want to install, the installer terminates while turning to the second page (simple variable page).

Unfortunately the stack trace does not give me information about why the JREManager class could not be initialized. I'd need to see the full log file and would hope to find logged there prior failures that lead to the final failure.

If you use the installer's menu in the upper right on the first page of the installer, and switch to "ADVANCED MODE..." the installer will ask if you want to keep it in a permanent location. If that works, you can put it somewhere (that you remember where it is) in your file system.

Likely the first page of the advanced mode will fail in a similar way that the second page of the simple mode failed. But in this case you can find the log file in the <installer-location>/configuration/*.log and could attach that file to your forum post.

Alternatively you can find this log in the horrible "tmp" location that you see in the failure dialog, e.g., in the most recent example crash it would be under under C:\Users\Ken!\AppData\Local\Temp\eoi169F.tmp\configuration\*.log. The installer extracts itself to a temporary location and you can see that location in the crash dialog after the -startup line.

Of course you can also avoid using the installer and download something directly from here and unzip it:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

But it would be nice to know why the installer is failing so that I can fix whatever the problem is...

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808536 is a reply to message #1808512] Wed, 26 June 2019 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I wasn't able to get the installer menu to run at all, it would fail after downloading the eclipse.exe file. Downloading the .zip has seemed to work though. When I open it, it asks to select a directory as a workspace, is this correct?

I was able to grab the .log from the temporary file. It is pasted below, as well as attached on here.

(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=ppc64le))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=x86))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=x86-64))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=arm))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=armel))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=aarch64))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=ia64))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=sparcv9))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=mips64el))(&(osgi.native.osname~=linux)(osgi.native.processor~=S390x))(&(osgi.native.osname~=freebsd)(osgi.native.processor~=x86))(&(osgi.native.osname~=freebsd)(osgi.native.processor~=x86-64))(&(osgi.native.osname~=openbsd)(osgi.native.processor~=x86))(&(osgi.native.osname~=openbsd)(osgi.native.processor~=x86-64))(&(osgi.native.osname~=macosx)(|(osgi.native.processor~=x86)(osgi.native.processor~=x86-64)(osgi.native.processor~=ppc))))"
NLS missing message: ModuleResolutionReport_UnresolvedReq in: org.eclipse.osgi.internal.messages.ExternalMessagesImport-Package: com.sun.jna.platform.win32; version="[4.1.0,5.0.0)"
-> Export-Package: com.sun.jna.platform.win32; bundle-symbolic-name="com.sun.jna.platform"; bundle-version="4.5.1.v20180403-1933"; version="4.5.1"; uses:="com.sun.jna,com.sun.jna.platform,com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM,com.sun.jna.ptr,com.sun.jna.win32"
com.sun.jna.platform [6]
NLS missing message: ModuleResolutionReport_UnresolvedReq in: org.eclipse.osgi.internal.messages.ExternalMessagesImport-Package: com.sun.jna; version="[4.5.1,4.6.0)"
-> Export-Package: com.sun.jna; bundle-symbolic-name="com.sun.jna"; bundle-version="4.5.1.v20180403-1933"; version="4.5.1"
NLS missing message: ModuleResolutionReport_UnresolvedReq in: org.eclipse.osgi.internal.messages.ExternalMessagesImport-Package: com.sun.jna.ptr; version="[4.5.1,4.6.0)"
-> Export-Package: com.sun.jna.ptr; bundle-symbolic-name="com.sun.jna"; bundle-version="4.5.1.v20180403-1933"; version="4.5.1"; uses:="com.sun.jna"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:457)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$1.run(ModuleContainer.java:1820)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$2$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:150)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1813)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1769)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1735)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1661)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer 4 0 2019-06-25 15:58:26.169
!MESSAGE Could not initialize class org.eclipse.oomph.jreinfo.JREManager
!STACK 0
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.eclipse.oomph.jreinfo.JREManager
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.SimpleVariablePage.createContent(SimpleVariablePage.java:344)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.SimpleInstallerPage.<init>(SimpleInstallerPage.java:91)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.SimpleVariablePage.<init>(SimpleVariablePage.java:267)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.SimpleInstallerDialog.createUI(SimpleInstallerDialog.java:254)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.AbstractSimpleDialog.show(AbstractSimpleDialog.java:139)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.InstallerApplication.run(InstallerApplication.java:250)
at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.installer.InstallerApplication.start(InstallerApplication.java:408)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:660)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1468)
Re: Eclipse Installer error [message #1808572 is a reply to message #1808536] Thu, 27 June 2019 02:45 Go to previous message
It's all very mysterious. It looks like the OSGi framework is failing to load JNI (Java Native Interface). E.g., even eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient45.win32 appears to have failures starting/loading. The JREManager uses JREInfo which has a JNI fragment for reading the system registry (to find all your Java installations), and that appears to not work either. But I tried installing JDK 12.0.1 on my machine and am able to run the installer with that version of Java and no log file is produced, so there doesn't appear to be anything problematic about that JDK implementation in and of itself.

If downloading the zip works, then yes, it will first prompt for a workspace directory before launching. I fear though that once launched it's likely to fail the same way as the installer (because the installer is just an Eclipse application), but if that works, then at least you can get started an avoid this problem because I'm at a loss for what else to suggest (other than specifying the -vm argument to use a different JDK)...

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:JNI error and JAVA exception
Next Topic: Eclipse Community Forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:15:44 GMT 2024