Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar(Undo/redo buttons are being hidden by default)
Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar [message #1807748] Fri, 07 June 2019 09:35 Go to next message
Madhan 1106 is currently offline Madhan 1106Friend
I have created an eclipse application. When I launch the application for the first time I can see undo and redo in the toolbar. When I close the application and launch it again, the options disappear.

I have figure out that the workbench.xmi is updating these actions in the hidden items.

<persistedState key="persp.hiddenItems" value="persp.hideToolbarSC:org.eclipse.ui.edit.undo,persp.hideToolbarSC:org.eclipse.ui.edit.redo"/>

I have tried clearing the persisted state and it works fine. But I do not want to clear the persisted state. Can anyone explain why it is being added to hidden perspective and how can i avoid the problem.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 June 2019 05:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar [message #1807791 is a reply to message #1807748] Sun, 09 June 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps it's related to how the perspective is configured in terms of which tool bars are configured to be visible. I.e., Window -> Perspective -> Customize Perspective... and is the Edit -> undo/redo toolbar enabled there?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar [message #1807832 is a reply to message #1807791] Mon, 10 June 2019 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. I checked and it turns out that it is unchecked in customize perspective. I cannot ask the end user to open customize perspective and check it every time.
I found the root of the problem after some research. The org.eclipse.ide.ui plugin is responsible for this

<perspectiveExtension targetID="*">
         <!--
              disable "print" button which is defined by org.eclipse.ui.actions.ActionFactory.PRINT
              and contributed by org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.WorkbenchActionBuilder
         -->
         <hiddenToolBarItem id="print" />
         <!--
              disable "undo" button which is defined by org.eclipse.ui.actions.ActionFactory.UNDO
         -->
         <hiddenToolBarItem id="org.eclipse.ui.edit.undo" />
         <!--
              disable "redo" button which is defined by org.eclipse.ui.actions.ActionFactory.REDO
         -->
         <hiddenToolBarItem id="org.eclipse.ui.edit.redo" />
      </perspectiveExtension>

How do I overcome this. Is there any way do it programatically.
Re: Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar [message #1807844 is a reply to message #1807832] Mon, 10 June 2019 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure about the details, but you could define and use your own perspective instead of some default one, couldn't you? Then you have complete control over what's visible and available and what isn't.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Undo and redo buttons does not appear on toolbar [message #1807901 is a reply to message #1807844] Wed, 12 June 2019 05:27 Go to previous message
I am not using the perspective shown above. It is part of plugin.xml of org.eclipse.ide.ui plugin. If i remove the ide plugin from my dependencies, the problem is being solved but I need the plugin for som other areas.
Previous Topic:After ./configure it is throwing an make error while Rebuilding openocd 0.10.0.
Next Topic:Can I get closing permissions for a Eclipse project at bugs.eclipse.org?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:49:57 GMT 2024