Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » Eclipse Running Slow/Crashiong Major Issue(Not sure what more to do. Need urgent help.)
Eclipse Running Slow/Crashiong Major Issue [message #1807250] Sun, 26 May 2019 07:03 Go to next message
Joshua Slater is currently offline Joshua SlaterFriend
Hello,

I have been using Eclipse for many years now almost every day for development. Recently, I am not sure what happend but my Eclipse program started to play up and has been constantly freezing, crashing and just overall being a hastle. I have tried; updating + reinstalling eclipse, updating my drivers, cleaning my PC & allocating more RAM but nothing works. I am not sure what more to do. I have a very good PC so it can't be the problem. I have also scanned my computer for any viruses/malware but that also came up clean. My PC specs are below;

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU 3.70GHz
RAM: 32 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Motherboard: AUSUSTeK Computer INC. Rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Graphics Card: GTX 1080 (Gigabyte)
Drive: 232GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB

I am not running out of space on this drive so that is not the problem. If anyone could suggest a resolution please do so. The crashing/freezing seems to occur when I try and hover over something to get suggestions or when I auto import. Let me know if there is anything I can upload to help reach a solution or if there are any logs you need.

Cheers
Re: Eclipse Running Slow/Crashiong Major Issue [message #1807289 is a reply to message #1807250] Mon, 27 May 2019 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

Which version of the Eclipse IDE are you using? Make sure you're running the latest release (2019-03) on a recent version of Java on a recent OS for best results.
Re: Eclipse Running Slow/Crashiong Major Issue [message #1807323 is a reply to message #1807289] Tue, 28 May 2019 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshua Slater is currently offline Joshua SlaterFriend
Yes, I am running the latest version of Eclipse on a recent version of Java. I am also running Windows 10 Home.
Re: Eclipse Running Slow/Crashiong Major Issue [message #1807329 is a reply to message #1807323] Tue, 28 May 2019 08:52 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I've had no problems with Eclipse crashing but I was getting freezes that I wanted to get the bottom of. I use jvisualvm (part of the JDK) to capture stack traces of what the process was doing when it was frozen.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock#Using_jvisualvm

In my case, I was working on a very huge customer project with a huge number of warnings, and I had link with editor enabled so many parts of the Package Explorer tree were expanded and many had to be decorated with warnings and it was this decoration process that took long. It goes worse when the process gets low on available heap. Do you have the Heap Status button enabled (search for heap in the preferences dialog) so you can monitor this? In my case, collapsing the tree and deleting the thousands of warnings helped a lot.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Features in Netbeans and eclipse
Next Topic:Cannot resign committer paperwork
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:34:37 GMT 2024