Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Java Exit Code - 1(Insanely Confused)
Java Exit Code - 1 [message #1806481] Thu, 09 May 2019 15:59 Go to next message
Eliot Shedlock is currently offline Eliot ShedlockFriend
The picture posted is my exit code that I received when I tried to use eclipse, I have found multiple solutions but they all regard an ini file that looks way different then the one that I have received, here is what my ini file looks like.

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.5.300.v20190213-1655.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.1000.v20190125-2016
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
-showsplash
org.eclipse.epp.package.common
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.appendVmargs
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-Dosgi.instance.area.default=@user.home/eclipse-workspace
-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+UseStringDeduplication
--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-Dosgi.dataAreaRequiresExplicitInit=true
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m
--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM

How should I go about resolving this issue? Also to note, my jdk file is indeed 64-bit.
Re: Java Exit Code - 1 [message #1806504 is a reply to message #1806481] Fri, 10 May 2019 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You may have installed a 64 bit JDK, but that is not what is being used. If you look at the line right after the exit code you can see that it's using something from Program Files (x86), so that's definitely a 32 bit VM. Perhaps use the installer to create your installation. It looks for Java installations in the registry and makes sure that the installation you create has a -vm option to use a correct JVM. The latest version of the installer http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/products/latest/eclipse-inst-win64.exe now properly finds Java 11 and 12 installations, which Oracle in their infinite wisdom decided to put in a different place in the system registry...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Java Exit Code - 1 [message #1806510 is a reply to message #1806504] Fri, 10 May 2019 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Could something like that be the source of my problem? I had some problems with my HP running Microsoft 10, and one of the difficulties was that its hard drive was so full that it could not update Windows. I added an external HD and have tried to get downloads and installations to go to that hard drive. Everything seems to work until I go to install Eclipse. I have noticed that the first IDE installer that shows up on Google is one from several years ago. I thought I had found the most recent one. It always fails, and there are pages of log entries that mean nothing to me. I've bought extra software to take all the messes out of the Windows computer and its system, but that has not helped. I got one notice that said the failure to install was a known problem, and it led me to another download operation that installed emergency repair files (with a stern message that there were no guarantees that it would work harmlessly).

No harm was suffered by the repair elements from Eclipse, but as of now I've wasted days on this problem. Nothing has brought success. No harm was done, but nothing good came of it either.

Is there a way to just download the IDE instead of depending on an installer that isn't working for me?

I just used the installer for the IDE on the Macintosh side and it all went smoothly. I've already ported part of my long-term project over to the new version of Eclipse, and everything worked perfectly. On top of that I don't feel like I'm trying to take somebody's appendix out with an endoscopy rig, or working on the far end of the clutch cable that is out of sight at the back of my transmission, and is hung up on something that needs to be fixed. In other words, the visual interface on the Microsoft side is without definition, without much organization, etc., and I'm having lots of trouble with vague instructions in on-line materials that are supposed to be helpful. Thankfully, Eclipse does not write and develop visual interfaces in the Microsoft esthetic even when it makes an Eclipse that runs on Microsoft.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2019 06:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Java Exit Code - 1 [message #1806520 is a reply to message #1806510] Fri, 10 May 2019 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, you can download packages from here:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

Of course the download numbers on that page suggest that 1.7 million people downloaded the installer while only 300,000 directly downloaded the most popular package.

Indeed if your C: drive has limited space, you really need to pay more attention to where things are getting installed. You'd need to use a different location for the shared agent/bundle pool (via the installer's menu for that) and of course you need to pay attention to where the installation is created on the last page of the installer (in simple mode).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Java Exit Code - 1 [message #1806522 is a reply to message #1806520] Fri, 10 May 2019 07:01 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
It's too late and I'm too tired to try it now. Thanks for the help.

Added Friday:

I was thinking of reformatting the HP's drive and really being sure that there were no problematical left overs. But when I got the downloaded Eclipse file and installed it myself, it worked straightaway.

Once I had that done I tried running one of the JAR files I made on my Mac, and I discovered that there was still that obscure "JNI" error. There must have been an incompatibility with the Eclipse that I had installed myself a few months ago.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 May 2019 06:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:git Tag prefix and its convention used in eclipse.platform
Next Topic:Where is the correct place to add a trusted certificate on Linux?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:05:48 GMT 2024