Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder'
Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1801932] Tue, 29 January 2019 15:41 Go to next message
Wilbert Alberts is currently offline Wilbert AlbertsFriend
Hi,

Since the eclipse 2018-9 release, I'm having problems getting my Acceleo projects to work. To be very brief:
- I create a metamodel
- I create an acceleo project
- I create a (main) template
When saving that template, the Acceleo builder kicks in and it reports the following error:
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.UnresolvedReferenceException: Unresolved reference '/0/generateDeliverable'. (platform:/resource/OotiFinalProject.generator.dependencies/bin/OotiFinalProject/generator/dependencies/main/main.emtl, 20, 87)
(deleted a lot of stuff from the stack trace)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.UnresolvedReferenceException: Unresolved reference '/0/generateDeliverable'. (platform:/resource/OotiFinalProject.generator.dependencies/bin/OotiFinalProject/generator/dependencies/main/main.emtl, 20, 87)

I attached the relevant projects in my workspace. I ran them using the 2019-3 (pre)release of eclipse. Just open the OotiFinalProject.generator.dependencies/src/.../main.mtl, change it and save it. Then the Acceleo builder will complain.

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Greetings,
Wilbert
Re: Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1801978 is a reply to message #1801932] Wed, 30 January 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

If you use a pre-release 2019-03 you have volunteered to become part of the Eclipse testing community. Thank you. You must expect that the many teething problems of new Java versions will bite.
(As a long time Eclipse user, you might recognize that you are amongst the most experienced active Acceleo users and so it is now time for you to step up to help the Acceleo community.)

Don't use Java 9/10/11 until you have demonstrated that 2019-03 with Java 8 works for you. Too many extra excitements.

Option 1: The debugger is your friend.

I find that a breakpoint in EcoreUtil.resolve(EObject proxy, ResourceSet resourceSet) at "resolvedObject = resourceSet.getEObject(proxyURI, false);" provides an opportunity to discover how you got to the problem, and if necessary an opportunity to step forwards to retry the resolution failure.

Be generous on what exceptions you break on, because there may be a much earlier exception that causes a plugin initialization to fail.

Option 2: Identify the breaking commit.

It is very unlikely that the problem is in the platform, too far away, or Acceleo, stable, unlikely that it is the Classic OCL, pretty stable, so that leaves EMF that has had some useful improvements, or overall compatibility, in particular Java changes. And never to be forgotten is 'idiot user'; the reported problem is actually due to something completely different, wrong directory, wrong path, wrong installation, wrong computer, additional development tweaks, .... or just a need for a really determined restart/clean/re-build. Acceleo is particularly hard to rebuild after an environment change; delete everything you possibly can to force a build. Once you are sure it is not idiot user, replace the installed EMF/OCL/Acceleo versions on 2019-03M1 to find out which one changes something. Remember to do a really thorough restart/clean/rebuild after each experiment otherwise you chase a not-rebuilt red herring. Once you know which project, you can replace that project by its GIT and find the GIT commit that causes the change.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1802382 is a reply to message #1801978] Thu, 07 February 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbert Alberts is currently offline Wilbert AlbertsFriend
Hi,

I checked eclipse bugzilla and found that a bug report for this one has already been filed: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=543026

The description there matches with what I found while I was running the debugger. (Yes I tried that ;-) ) Unfortunately I don't think that I could at much more to that.

Thanks anyhow!

Greetings,
Wilbert.

Re: Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1802386 is a reply to message #1802382] Thu, 07 February 2019 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Thanks. This looks like Acceleo is being broken by some EMF change. Need to investigate.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1802387 is a reply to message #1802386] Thu, 07 February 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

It's a blocker. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=543026 . Workaround use EMF <= 2.15.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Errors running builder 'Acceleo Builder' [message #1804800 is a reply to message #1802387] Mon, 01 April 2019 13:07 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hello,

Now, still in this eclipse, let's go for the recommended scenario:

• Import the 3 OotiFinalProjectPlaninng projects
  • Start a runtime (Run > Run configurations... > double click "Eclipse Application" > select the new configuration and click "Run")
  • Import the 2 OotiFinalProject.generator.dependencies
  • open main.mtl and modify it at will

This works as expected. Let's try the discouraged scenario then. Close the runtime eclipse to go back to the 2019-03 we've first launched and installed acceleo in:

• Import the 2 OotiFinalProject.generator.dependencies (we already have the 3 metamodel projects)
  • open main.mtl and modify it at will

This works as expected.

I'm also unable to reproduce this in my development environment using a 2019-03 target platform. Please provide complete reproduction steps if something is failing.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo

[Updated on: Mon, 01 April 2019 13:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Acceleo UI Launcher cannot find Java Services and UML Profile
Next Topic:Installing Acceleo on Eclipse 2018-12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:12:49 GMT 2024