Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » -Doomph.p2.pool argument
-Doomph.p2.pool argument [message #1801098] Sun, 13 January 2019 21:19 Go to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
I read the Oomph authoring page, the corresponding bugzilla and looked at the code and do not understand the purpose of the option. Here is what I have noticed:

If I start with the value set to @none the ability to select/change the bundle pool disappears from both the simple and advanced mode UI.

If I set the option to a path containing a bundle pool, the oomph.p2.pool system property will be overwritten to the value of the defaults.info file there fore ignoring the passed value.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any change in how oomph works when @none is specified (except for the UI difference), i.e. will the bundle pool specified in defaults.info be used and added to when required as usual?
  2. What is the purpose of setting the value to a file path corresponding to a bundle pool?

As usual, thanks for the replies.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 January 2019 21:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: -Doomph.p2.pool argument [message #1801106 is a reply to message #1801098] Mon, 14 January 2019 03:23 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The purpose of @none is to turn off the use of a shared bundle pool. The purpose of using a pool location is intended to select the pool from an agent that manages that pool:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.oomph.setup.p2/src/org/eclipse/oomph/setup/p2/impl/P2TaskImpl.java#n777

But the method it calls returns null if there exists no such agent:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.oomph.p2.core/src/org/eclipse/oomph/p2/internal/core/AgentManagerImpl.java#n281

So it seems to me that perhaps there out to be more logic or some way to handle/manage the case that "bundlePool" is null and to create a new agent (presumably using the parent folder of the pool location as the agent location). But the question is, how would that be used practically? The user already has the ability to manage the location of the agent and pool. This system property option was mostly intended as a way to specify @none to remove that option for the user. How would you want to use this system property option to specify a location that's sensible for each/every user?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Difference between a shared and local bundle pool
Next Topic:Deleting a variable from user.setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:58:46 GMT 2024