Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Change location of .p2
Change location of .p2 [message #1800745] Mon, 07 January 2019 17:16 Go to next message
Zakary Ilic is currently offline Zakary IlicFriend
Hello,

During the oomph eclipse install I want to change the location of the .p2 so it is in a shared location to all users, (Example: C:\Users\Public\.p2). When running the eclipse installer I have to run using user2 with elevated privileges. When running eclipse it must run as user1 or user2 with elevated privileges. I want user1 and user2 to have distinct preference store (i.e. not shared). I found a form post (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/681941/) that suggests using setup.p2.agent as an environment variable or VM argument for the installer but I have not been able to get this working.

Could you explain how to do this with the eclipse installer?
Re: Change location of .p2 [message #1800763 is a reply to message #1800745] Mon, 07 January 2019 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
To add to Zak's question what is the purpose of the eclipse.p2.data.area defined in ProvisioningAgentProvider.java in the oomph P2 Management project in the Oomph source code as in the screen shot below:
index.php/fa/34625/0/
Is this supposed to be used by the eclipse installer or the eclipse application only. We have tried to specify the location using -Declipse.p2.data.area system property to the windows environment variable eclipse_p2_data_area and this does not appear to get used ever.
Re: Change location of .p2 [message #1800772 is a reply to message #1800763] Tue, 08 January 2019 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't think the pool should be shared by all users, with write permissions of all users.

The eclipse.p2.data.area is used/defined by, for example, org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.Activator.PROP_AGENT_DATA_AREA.

These are complex topics and I'm not being paid to provide free consulting services. In fact, it cuts into my available to actually work on the things for which I am paid, so it ultimately costs me money to provide "free" consulting services.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Change location of .p2 [message #1800811 is a reply to message #1800772] Tue, 08 January 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
Ed the forums are there for people to put out question and people to give answer. No one is force to put question or to answer them. I don't know why you take it this way. Eclipse is a community tool and this is the spirit in which all questions are asked. Thanks for your time.
Re: Change location of .p2 [message #1801009 is a reply to message #1800811] Fri, 11 January 2019 03:29 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I just wanted to set expectations. If you look at all my forum posts, you'll see there are now close to 30,000 of them and you can do a little math to figure out how many days that is if one knew how many minutes were spent on average per post. In the past I've been paid for that work, and the time only cut into my other open source work. But now the time cuts into my paid work, so I will on occasion need to limit the amount of time I spend answering.

Of course I really appreciate that you're doing interesting things with Oomph and I don't want to scare you or anyone else away. I also totally appreciate when you contribute helpful information, e.g., this Bugzilla post was super insightful:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=541465#c11

Thanks.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Tycho - Could not mirror artifact
Next Topic:Difference between a shared and local bundle pool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:45:40 GMT 2024