Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Advised method to learn and use sirius
Advised method to learn and use sirius [message #1794964] Tue, 11 September 2018 17:56 Go to next message
Wa Lid is currently offline Wa LidFriend
Hi,
I am creating an editor based on sirius and was wondering about the advised method to do that.
I followed the standard and some of the steps in the advanced tutorials but I am still a bit confused about how to apply the concepts in my situation.

I have several questions :

Should one define the meta model in emf in conjuction with defining the editor in sirius or is it best to first completly define the meta-model then use sirius ? This is important for me because I have a shallow understanding of emf and ecore, and as I understood, sirius has its own helpers regarding meta-model manipulation. So in my situation, it seems that I must learn emf very well first but again, I managed to create an editor although I am not sure I am using the tools as I should.

My meta-model has to be validated even when it is not created with sirius, so is it possible for sirius to use ocl in the meta-model or they must be implemented in sirius ?

Does sirius not support some emf features ?
Re: Advised method to learn and use sirius [message #1795030 is a reply to message #1794964] Thu, 13 September 2018 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frederic Madiot is currently offline Frederic MadiotFriend

Hello,
I would advise you to achieve a sufficent level of stability of your metamodel before starting to create your Sirius-based tooling.
Otherwise you will need to refactor the Sirius-based tooling each time you break your metamodel.
As it is quite difficult to design a good metamodel from a white page, you should instantiate it rapidly by creating a sample model based on it, in order to validate and correct your design. You can use the default tree editor generated by EMF.
Then, once you have a first version of your metamodel, validated by a consistent and significant sample model, you can start with Sirius.
But before creating your first odesign, take some time to specify the graphical representations and tools that you are going to create with Sirius. And validate that you can retrieve the required information from your metamodel.
This preparatory work should reduce the number of metamodel updates and avoid to much refactoring of your Sirius-based tooling.
Best regards,

Frédéric Madiot - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Advised method to learn and use sirius [message #1795031 is a reply to message #1795030] Thu, 13 September 2018 07:48 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Good advice, but you don't necessarily need to abandon Sirius completely. Once you have some experience of Sirius and provided you only use the minimal Sirius capabilities, you can recreate/regenerate rather than refactor your Sirius editor after each significant metamodel refactoring. So long as you have avoided any fancy customization, recreation may take less than an hour. Make sure you fully delete the old editor, restart Eclipse and use a consistently different name for the new editor.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:How to Highlight all references to an object in a Sirius Diagram
Next Topic:Facing Problems While creating delete line tool in Sirius Table representation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:24:43 GMT 2024