Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » [GEF4] Multiple selection performance problem
[GEF4] Multiple selection performance problem [message #1793394] Tue, 07 August 2018 13:00 Go to next message
Xavier JACQUES is currently offline Xavier JACQUESFriend
Hello

I have some big performance issues when i unselect a lot of selected drawn components.

I made some analyzes and it comes from the SelectionBehavior class and its selectionObserver listening to SelectionModel changes.

As a SelectionBehavior is bound to each ContentPart, when you unselect 100 elements, the onChanged method is called 100 times.
In this method, the utility method CollectionUtils.getPreviousContents() takes a lot of time to compute when a lot of elements were selected.
On a good computer it takes 30 seconds to unselect 100 elements.

Have I misconfigured something in the MVCModule or is it the normal GEF default behavior?

Thank you.
Re: [GEF4] Multiple selection performance problem [message #1793612 is a reply to message #1793394] Sat, 11 August 2018 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Xavier,

which version of GEF are you currently using? I believe it is GEF4 1.0.0 or 1.1.0?

Starting with GEF 5.0.0, selection changes are rendered much faster due to centralisation of SelectionBehavior. Basically, we changed SelectionBehavior from being bound to every part to being exclusively bound to the root part.

I believe you should be able to adopt the changes (with a little effort of adjustment). As a starting point, you can have a look at AbstractBehavior and SelectionBehavior in the current code base:

https://github.com/eclipse/gef/blob/master/org.eclipse.gef.mvc.fx/src/org/eclipse/gef/mvc/fx/behaviors/SelectionBehavior.java
https://github.com/eclipse/gef/blob/master/org.eclipse.gef.mvc.fx/src/org/eclipse/gef/mvc/fx/behaviors/AbstractBehavior.java

Feel free to ask further questions.

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: [GEF4] Multiple selection performance problem [message #1793660 is a reply to message #1793612] Mon, 13 August 2018 12:30 Go to previous message
Xavier JACQUES is currently offline Xavier JACQUESFriend
Yes we are in GEF4 1.1.0.

Thank you for your useful answer! We will have to think if we migrate to GEF5.0.0 or if we only adopt the Behavior changes.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 August 2018 07:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to drag-and-drop from Eclipse to GEF editor?
Next Topic:NullPointerException at ITransformableContentPart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:42:43 GMT 2024