Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Add Jars To Runtime Classpath After RCP Release
Add Jars To Runtime Classpath After RCP Release [message #1792610] Fri, 20 July 2018 08:08
Marcel Austenfeld is currently offline Marcel AustenfeldFriend
Since a long time I release a RCP platform with JDT and Java scripting languages (Groovy, Jython, R etc.) which can be used to create, interpret and compile custom
models and interfaces dynamically within the application to extend the current RCP platform.

However I've never found a satisfying way to install third party Java libraries (*.jars) after the release of the RCP application. So I often used the /ext folder of the current JRE to add Java libraries later (e.g., libraries which could not shipped with the RCP because of licence restricitions).

I tried plugins and features to no avail as installable containers for *jars. The problem is however that they are not added to the runtime classpath of the application because the main plugin of my RCP has no dependencies to the new plugins (later installed ,e.g., with the Updated Manager).

The only workaround so far could be to create dependencies on some empty dummy Eclipse plugins which work as simple containers but which will be not exported with the app (make them optional in the properties) to fill them later with third party libraries and offer after the release as installable plugins).

My question now:

Is there another way to add Java libraries to a RCP after the release so that they are added to the runtime classpath (and can be used in a Java scripting language like Groovy - which is started in the same Java process)?

Previous Topic:positioning CoolBar and PerspectiveBar
Next Topic:Errors not listed on Problems view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:40:53 GMT 2024