Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » NoClassDefFoundError when calling Class.forName(Seeing a NoClassDefFoundError when I call Class.forName in code when running in eclipse only (i.e don't see it when run from command line).)
NoClassDefFoundError when calling Class.forName [message #1791719] Wed, 04 July 2018 13:05 Go to next message
Alex Clayton is currently offline Alex ClaytonFriend
Got a series of projects where code in one project uses Class.forName to load a class from another Project, which in turn makes use of a class in a third project. When I run the code in eclipse using a Java 10 JRE I get a NoClassDefFoundError but I do not see this when running (with the same JRE) at the command line. Neither do I see it when running against java 8 in eclipse.

The smallest set up I could do to replicate it was with 3 project, Project 1, Project 2 and Project 3. I've set eclipses compiler compliance level to 1.8 but did see the problem when this was 10 too.

Project 1 contains the following class:

package clayton.alex.foo;

public class Foo {

public static void setFooInterface(FooInterface newInteface) {
		// Do something
	}

public interface FooInterface {
		public void callback();
	}	
}

Then Project 2 has Project 1 on its class path, and contains the following class:

package clayton.alex.bar;
import clayton.alex.foo.Foo;
import clayton.alex.foo.Foo.FooInterface;

public class Bar {
	public static void doAFoo() {
		Foo.setFooInterface(new FooInterface() {
			@Override
			public void callback() {
				// Some Code
			}
		});
	}	
}

Finally Project 3 contains Project 2 only (i.e it does not include Project 1) on it's classpath. It has the following code in it:

package clayton.alex.buzz;

public class BuzzApp {
	public static void main(String[] args) {
               try {
			Class.forName("clayton.alex.bar.Bar");
		} 
		catch (ClassNotFoundException | SecurityException 
				| IllegalArgumentException | NoClassDefFoundError e) {
			System.out.println("ERROR "+e.getLocalizedMessage());
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
	}	
}

When I run this code in eclipse with the oracle java 10.0.1 JRE I get the following error:

ERROR clayton/alex/foo/Foo$FooInterface
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: clayton/alex/foo/Foo$FooInterface
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:291)
	at clayton.alex.buzz.BuzzApp.main(BuzzApp.java:8)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: clayton.alex.foo.Foo$FooInterface
	at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
	... 3 more

If instead I run using Java 1.8.0_52 then I see not such error. The program just runs to completion.

Also if Instead compile and generate jar files using ant; using similar project hierachy (i.e project 2 has project 1 on it's class path and project 3 has project 2 only on its class path) then again then the code completes successfully, even with the same Java 10 JRE.

Any idea why this would be happening? Why do I only see the error when running in eclipse, and when running with Java 10 (I think it can be seen with Java 9 too, but have not tested that fully)?
Re: NoClassDefFoundError when calling Class.forName [message #1791732 is a reply to message #1791719] Wed, 04 July 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Possibly https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=534884

Workaround add the missing transitive dependencies explicitly.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: NoClassDefFoundError when calling Class.forName [message #1791737 is a reply to message #1791732] Wed, 04 July 2018 14:59 Go to previous message
Alex Clayton is currently offline Alex ClaytonFriend
That does look like the same bug. I'll follow that bug and use the workaround for the moment.

Thanks,
Alex Clayton
Previous Topic:Feature for searching constants
Next Topic:Usage of org.eclipse.ltk.core.refactoring.Refactoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:26:48 GMT 2024