Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Error When Trying to Run
Error When Trying to Run [message #1787259] Tue, 22 May 2018 20:31 Go to next message
Matthew Benfield is currently offline Matthew BenfieldFriend
I tried to build and run my first c++ project, but I get an error that says "Launching Program has encountered a problem . Exception occurred executing command line". I sure it is a simple fix, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks for any help.
Re: Error When Trying to Run [message #1787276 is a reply to message #1787259] Wed, 23 May 2018 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I can't be sure, but it looks as though you have set things up so that a binary file (.exe or whatever you call it in your OS) would be written into a certain subdirectory, but the subdirectory is locked. Maybe you are trying to write it to a file with lots of systems stuff in it, and it is not possible to put anything in there unless you log in as admin and/or give it a password.

Anyway, before you do anything else, look around for place where a path might be set up. If I were doing it I would go to the root level in my file system and create a folder there called "C Stuff" or whatever, and then explicitly set up the path for all compiled stuff any anything else that might need to get saved so that it would all go there.,
Re: Error When Trying to Run [message #1787278 is a reply to message #1787276] Wed, 23 May 2018 05:51 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I didn't expect to be able to see so much path info on that error message. Things are a little clearer now.

In the beginning I thought that maybe you had set things up so that a binary file (.exe or whatever you call it in your OS) would be written into a certain subdirectory, but the subdirectory is locked. That maybe you were trying to write it to a file with lots of systems stuff in it, and it is not possible to put anything in there unless you log in as admin and/or give it a password. The error message makes it clear that you've set up the equivalent of what I called "C Stuff."

Where is that "remote system temp files" notation. Do you actually have such a folder within EclipseWorkspace? I would bet you don't have any such subdirectory. I'm just guessing, but did you get your first C++ project by downloading code from Eclipse or from some other remote source? If so, the compiler is probably trying to save the compiled file back wherever you got your source from.

Again, just guessing because I can't see your computer screen, but what I would do is to copy the source code from wherever, open up a dead-simple text editor, paste the file in there, check it over to make sure you didn't get more than the program, give it an appropriate name, save it to your workspace (and while you are at it, save another copy to some backup folder), import it into your workspace (if you need to do so for a C++ environment), and then compile it from the file in your workspace that you've opened up in Eclipse. That way you won't get any implicit file path from THE ZONE ;-)
Previous Topic:How to display the chart and legend title at top-Left Corner?
Next Topic:Preferences
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:11:45 GMT 2024