Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unusually complicated Content Assist(My Content Assist comes with too much junk info)
Unusually complicated Content Assist [message #1786258] Sat, 28 April 2018 00:58 Go to next message
Reginald Uy is currently offline Reginald UyFriend
Content assist is useful, but for some reason a lot of the entries it gives me are so unnecessarily long that they become more confusing than helpful.

For example, when I asked for the list of functions I could use for C++'s set<string>, this is what it returns to me.
index.php/fa/32722/0/

How do I trim this down and make it actually readable by a human being? Am I missing a configuration option?
Re: Unusually complicated Content Assist [message #1786321 is a reply to message #1786258] Mon, 30 April 2018 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Here is a reference for STL <set>
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/set/set/
Notice the number of member functions listed for the container in the bottom left window.

Not sure how you would go about paring the list.
Content assist is giving you all of the functions provided by the STL set template.
Which ones would you eliminate and why?

Re: Unusually complicated Content Assist [message #1786519 is a reply to message #1786321] Sat, 05 May 2018 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not asking to reduce the number of functions, I'm more confused why the function signatures have so much extra stuff in the types? For instance, I'm fairly certain the "count(const _Kt & ___X)" function signature shouldn't be extending all the way to the end of the assist window. I'm concerned as to why the begin function doesn't say it just returns a data type iterator, instead of... whatever that gigantic signature is. Is this normal for the content assistor?
Re: Unusually complicated Content Assist [message #1786520 is a reply to message #1786321] Sat, 05 May 2018 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not asking to reduce the number of functions, I'm more confused why the function signatures have so much extra stuff in the types. For instance, I'm fairly certain the "count(const _Kt & ___X)" function signature shouldn't be extending all the way to the end of the assist window. I'm concerned as to why the begin function doesn't say it just returns a data type iterator, instead of... whatever that gigantic signature is. Is this normal for the content assistor?
Re: Unusually complicated Content Assist [message #1786523 is a reply to message #1786520] Sat, 05 May 2018 07:00 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
You are getting: <function> : <return type>
In the case of begin:
FUNCTION: begin(void)
RETURNS: std::set<string,less<string>, allocator<string> > :: iterator

You need the fully qualified type.
iterator by itself doesn't mean anything.
You need to know which one.
std::set<string,less<string>, allocator<string> > is the scope of iterator

Yes, the count function returns an enormous (mindboggling, even) qualified type.
Welcome to the world of C++ and STL.

If you don't like the current output, you could file an enhancement request at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT
You'll likely need to log in first.
This seems a low priority item so don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

In the meantime, ignore everything after the first ':' on a line if it's bothersome.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 May 2018 07:10]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Profiling with Gprof
Next Topic:include an external library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:56:17 GMT 2024